What kind of roost

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Shanebaby, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Shanebaby

Shanebaby New Member

I am new to chickens and was wondering what kind of roost to put in my coop. I have seen tree limbs, 2x4's, plastic pipe, steel pipe. What is best? I live in Ky.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I would use tree limbs (without mites) or wood poles or 2 x 4 s. treated wood may not be your best choice either. Metal will get hot or cold and can damage feet. PVC is okay but slippery and sometimes they like to use perch to clean their beak. Keep various sizes available for flexibility in leg muscles and in case of injury. I change out perches pretty often just to break the patterns of monotony. Keeps it fresh and interesting.

3. rob

rob New Member

i have 2x 1 in the coop, and 2x1 in the run. i also have tree branches of differing sizes in the run. they seem to prefer the 2x1.

4. Homegirl

Homegirl New Member

I use tree limbs or landscape timbers, they are flat and the gang can keep their toes warm in the winter.

5. FlaCummins

FlaCummins New Member

I tried a 2x1 and they wouldn't touch it. I put in a 1x 6 and they roost on it but still hang their toes off the edge it seems which makes for a messy board. Might try and cut it in half or try and find a good tree branch to try.

image-2130430844.jpg

6. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I have a 2x2 non-treated lumber board that it sets into a bracket on each side of the wall. Just one long perch then a short one set up with saw horses for temp use.

7. CountryMama

CountryMama Junior Member

I use dowels but I've also used tree branches. Both work well.

Attached Files:

8. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

Mine is inside an old sheep shed so the walls are lined with old wooden fence and wooden panel gates... they love them LOL

9. piglett

piglett Senior Member

if it's cold in your area many say to use a 2x4 & lay it flat
    that way they can roost with their legs laying more flat
    this helps em cover their feet with their breast feathers
    so you don't have birds with frostbite on their feet if it gets bitter cold

piglett

10. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

We also built the ladder type roosts. We have 3 levels which makes it easier for our bigger gals, the Cochin and jersey giant, to get up to the higher ones. We realized we should have spaced them a little farther apart since the ones on the top are pooping on the girls on the lower roosts. . What a mess, hubby is working on new roosts this week.

11. chickflick

chickflick New Member

The best, IMHO, is 2x4's, laid flat so they can cover their feet in the winter. Too small, 2x1's will be uncomfortable on their feet, round they can't grip, and again be uncomfortable on their feet. Yes, tree branches work because of their different widths, they can find what is comfortable for them. I have my roosts removable so I can take them out easily and wash them down when needed, and dry them in the sun.