Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came home from work to find all five of my sweet chickens dead. Something tore through the wire screen and killed each one and left them there? This all happened between 7 am and 4 pm. I am devastated. Any ideas as to what this could have been???

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your pet chickens. I can't imagine how much this hurts. I have no experience with this as my flock are still chicks but from what I have read it sounds like it could possibly have been a dog. Again so so sorry!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, we are also thinking it was a dog. I'll be making sure the coop is extra safe before getting any more babies!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
We live in the country and there are loose dogs roaming. They have already killed a neighbors chickens. The owners are aware and are of the attitude that dogs should not be confined so we are having to build a run and coop that is a fortress. We also have coyotes, cougars, racoons, snakes, hawks and the list goes on. We will put up a motion detector light, a trail cam and a baby monitor so we can hear what's going on inside the hen house. I don't know if the Nite Guard product works or not but I'd like to get something like that as well. These are ideas I've read about so I hope some of it helps you as well. Good luck with your improvements and I hope your heart heals soon.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is a netting u can purchase that is electrified that you can put up around your coop and it works even on bears I'm not 100% sure were you can purchase it but I'm sure if you go on line you could fined it. It sounds like dogs to me to I had a dog clear our 7 foot solid fence once and she killed all 40 of my hens when we spoke to animals control we found out that the people who owned the poor dog didn't feed her and she had a litter of puppies as well and the owner was on social assistance so we never did charge them. I felt so sorry for the dog because she even ate feathers she was so hungry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info! We looked at some netting for next time and my husband is fixing the coop with a heavier wire. We also saw what we think are the dogs that got them. A skinny momma dog and her puppy. We think maybe our dog barking from the house scared them off before they ate any of them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did the coop has chicken wire or welded wire if if is chicken wire a dog can bite through it but a dog at fix pup can fit there snout through the welded wire. One if your best bets is to put chicken wire then welded wire so they can't get through to your birds.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If this is a dog and her pup get a hold of the SPCA they will come put a live trap out and catch them and try to get them new homes. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am so sorry, the same thing happened to me, it was my neighbor's dog. I caught him in there. He swallowed one chicken whole ( about 6 weeks old) and slaughtered the other 5. He tore up my wooden coop too.

My neighbor put her dog down. We started over and now I have very happy, healthy chickens. As devastating as it may seem. It's worth securing your coop and starting over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts