What is this

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by jennifer, Jul 9, 2013.

1. jennifer

jennifer New Member

Ya tell me what you think...

image-3500022872.jpg

2. Bee

Bee Active Member

It's an egg.

3. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Cool, never seen one quite like it.

4. Bee

Bee Active Member

Yep...open it and see!

5. rcorliss

rcorliss New Member

Yep its an egg. I have had a few like it. Some of them are see through, some not and jelly like.They are almost like a gelatin egg.Very weird

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Yup, that is a really strange one with the small part on top!

It just happens sometimes.

7. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

My hens are just starting to lay and I've gotten a few jelly eggs, but none that look quite like that! I went to pick up one a few days ago that looked like a regular brown egg and discovered it was a jelly egg - it kind of grossed me out.

8. Apyl

Apyl New Member

A shell-less egg.

9. Itsacutefuzzball

Itsacutefuzzball New Member

This might be a dumb question, but what do you mean by a jelly egg? An egg that is like gelatin?

10. HerkNav

HerkNav New Member

It's an egg that looks normal, but when you pick it up the shell is soft. The inside is normal, but it feels like jelly or maybe jello when you pick it up. The ones my hens have laid have been a nice brown color and looked perfectly normal until you pick it up. Anyway, it is kind of strange to pick up an egg that feels like jello.

11. chickadee3

chickadee3 New Member

Yep - happens to me too... It's weird and fascinating all at the same time! X

12. hennypenny68

hennypenny68 New Member

I get the jelly eggs from time to time as well they are no diff then the hard shells they just didn't form the shell around them there still good eating just kinda weird to look at I tear mine open and enjoy.

13. lititzchic

lititzchic New Member

What causes the Jelly egg?

14. Bee

Bee Active Member

There can be a number of causes, depending upon the age of the bird, the time of year, general physical condition of the chicken, etc.

When chickens first start their life of laying, some hiccups can occur in the type, size, number and quality of eggs laid. Same goes for chickens going into a slow down or coming out of one, or coming off being broody, etc.

If a bird is older, this could signify the end of her laying life, which can be characterized but not limited to double yolks, odd shells, no shells, empty eggs, eggs with no yolks, etc.

If a bird has reproductive issues from illness, obesity, cancer or infection this can happen.

If a bird is malnourished due to parasite infestation or poor nutrition, it can happen.

When birds are molting, it can happen as the calcium is diverted for feather production.

Or any combination of the above.....

15. jennifer

jennifer New Member

Bee she does lay a lot of huge eggs .. I mean giant! She was used for breeding in her former home...

image-3439958257.jpg

16. Bee

Bee Active Member

Wowza!!! Poor thing!!!!

17. MaransGuy

MaransGuy New Member

My White Leghorns just started laying and I have gotten several no-shell eggs. The only problem is they eat them sometimes and I'm worried they might start eating the hard shell eggs.

18. Bee

Bee Active Member

They won't turn into "egg-eaters" because they eat faulty eggs. It's natural that they do so and is part of keeping the nests clean. No worries.

19. MaransGuy

MaransGuy New Member

I hope so. I had a couple of American Game hens become egg eaters and I had to get rid of them. I can't stand a chicken that eats their own eggs.