Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my Cochin Bantam Roo "BoomUp" my 2 yr old niece named him. I would love to know what this colour is called. He had grey ones white ones and this colour.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I have a book that states the colors of Cochin Bantams to be:

Black
Buff
Partridge
White (1874)
Barred
Brown Red
Golden Laced
Mottled
Silver Laced(1965)
Birchen
Blue
Colombian
Red(1977)

A google image search brought up, well, nothing similar. I'm wondering if he isn't a cross of two colors. He isn't as puffy as most Cochins, could he be a brahma cross or something similar?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Colombian seems to fit. The guy who sold him to me assured me he was pure banty Cochin. But again I am no expert. I should also say he was free, the guy had way too many roosters. But he had 3 like this one, a few grey and a few white.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Just because he's not a standardized/accepted color doesn't mean he's not a purebred. Just means that someone took the time to create a new color in the breed and it wasn't as popular as others. For instance if I were to create this color in cochins I'd cross it with a Buff Colombian, keep the chicks that look most like the cochin breed standard and breed them back to more cochins. Over several generations the Brahma would be essentially bred out except for the color. I am not sure how many generations this takes in chickens but in dogs and cats the accepted amount to be "pure breed" again is three generations away from the original cross. It takes time but it's a fun little project. Someday I hope to do this to make chocolate Brahmas. :D Need to move to a bigger acreage first though!

·
sharon
6 Posts
Hope this helps

It looks like my buff sussex hen exact same colour's so the colour is buff which is what you asked lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts