Chicken Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some really good hens but most will not brood.

I was wondering what is the best brooding hens there is. I've heard silkies will sit on anything but I'm needing some others also. We love all types of fowl.

Like to have some excellent hens for hatching out eggs an not leave the babies standing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Got this off the Internet!

Large breed
-Cochins
-buff orphington
-light bramahs
-dark Cornish
-buff rocks

Bantams
-silkies
-Cornish
-Cochins

As far as me the only hens I've had go broody was a buff orphington, and black austrolorp!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
My silkies and cochins go broody fast. All I have to do is leave a couple eggs in the coop and one of them will find it and sit.

·
178 Posts
My silkie goes broody ALL the time. It seems they are just 'born' to be mothers! :D
I plan to buy some fertile eggs for her, in the future and see how she goes. (I need to be set up better for chicks, otherwise I would have done so already!)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone on replying.

We're still trying to decide what breeds to add in our flock. I'm stuck on a few breeds I really like but first got to get our new brooder box built but can't get our supplies order until next week I'm guess due to all the cotton picking rain where having.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What breeds do you have that wont sit? It also has a lot to do with leaving eggs in the nest, temperature, season, and amount of sun.

·
Banned
825 Posts
A neighbor of mine has "Game Hens" of the previously LEGAL "fighting" varieties. AND he is regularly breeding them for offspring in order to perfect a breed that he has in mind.
His "Game Hens" get broody easily and do all his hatching. He hasn't bothered-with his incubator in years !

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 22 adults 2 silkies, 2 RIR , 5 barred rocks, 5 buff orpingtons, 5 cinnamon queens and 2 roo's. Out of all I have 1 b rock that goes broody! If I try to move her out with eggs of course she refuses to sit anymore. Then when I put her bk in with everyone she gets new eggs and sits again. Guess I will leave her this time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 1yr old black australorp is my first broody out of many breeds. So far she's extremely dedicated to her eggs and won't leave them. I take her off the nest and put her outside every morning. She quickly does what she needs to do and runs right back to them. Hoping she's a good mom too.

·
Banned
825 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got one Buff Orpington an when had eggs in the building she was sitting on the eggs but they're we're fertile which is sad.. The Buff Orpington is a very good hen she follows me around the yard but today the rooster was on the protecting side as our new pup thought she check out the hens an the rooster gave her a nice flogged an then the pup thought come next to me an the rooster flogged the pup again. It was funny in ways. Just now if can get some Buff Orpington chicks soon be very happy... Do have other hens but love my Buff...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts