What is going on??

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by K10sal, May 16, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Well, that's the first time I've seen E in liquid form and not in a capsule. The capsules are the one that usually include the selenium. When I'd be giving one of the bird the E I would poke a hole in the capsule and squeeze into the food.

Ears look really good. Truthfully, I was hoping to see something not right in the right ear.

Talk to Sarah about Blu Kote and what stuff looks like after using that. So don't worry about your fingers, mine are really ragged from all the work I've been doing around here.

2. robin416

One thing you should be aware of too, if it's a vitamin deficiency it's not an instant recovery. I would expect to see some improvement after a few days.

K10sal likes this.

3. K10sal

K10sal New Member

35A474C0-1F46-4CBA-9B95-654FB9375EE5.jpeg A5B82AB8-334B-452C-8A6D-B7DFF5385893.jpeg E6124BAB-3372-4254-B002-0ECCB1974F04.jpeg F5FDA252-0CEA-4449-86D0-B470140B3FD3.jpeg Just an update on the cutest baby chicken ever...she died in my hands this morning. I’m heartbroken. Lots of progress was made, then yesterday was 2 steps back. Then I gave her a baby chicken bath yesterday because she was stinky - vitamins on her, food on her crazy head, and then poop. I thought I followed all the chicken bath rules, but I think it just may have been too much stress for her little weak body. So she really seemed worse last night. I woke up to check on her this morning, and she was hardly peeping. I got water and dipped her beak in a few times and she appeared to be drinking it...then she started to open her beak like a baby bird looking for food. In hindsight, I think she was aspirating. I dropped 3 drops of poly vi sol on the side of her beak, and she opened her eyes wide, her whole body stiffened and she stood up straight, and then she fell backwards in my hands and went limp. My heart is very sad. It amazes me how some of us can love our chickens, like genuinely love them, while others can think it’s the craziest thing in the world that we even like them. But I loved that little thing. Staying up around the clock and fighting with everything you have for them creates something unique, I suppose.
    On a positive note, the other 8 seem happy and healthy, so I’m hopeful that it wasn’t something contagious.

here are just a few cute pics just because. I have 2 dobermans. My male is a little scared of the chickens because he’s just unsure. My female thinks they are her babies and started lactating when we brought them home. Don’t worry...they don’t interact unsupervised. If there is a chicken heaven, I know that my cute little 7-Up made her way there.

Sylie likes this.
  4. robin416

I'm so sorry that she didn't make it. It's something that we struggle with having these guys.

We are crazy chicken people and wear that badge with honor. Those that think there is something wrong with us are missing out what they can bring in to our lives.

K10sal likes this.
  5. TomC

TomC Active Member

I'm truly sorry to hear that you lost her. It's amazing how fast we get attached to the little guys, especially when you devote so much time trying to make one better.

I've found that people who don't understand or have no feelings when something goes wrong with a smaller creature, often have little regard for life in general. Be proud that you get sad with the passing of your little friend. It show that you appreciate life and other living things.

K10sal and robin416 like this.
  6. K10sal

K10sal New Member

7. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

OH I'm so sorry! *hug* That was a rough one. I know how much time, energy and love you put into her. I am truly sorry.

K10sal likes this.
  8. K10sal

K10sal New Member

I really did. But, if she was just going to be a sick baby, I’m realizing that I’m relieved that she won’t suffer. I miss her crazy little head...her cute little upside down face...and I especially miss the cute little circles that she did when she got excited to hear my high pitched baby voice yell out “heads up, 7-Up!!” I’ll be sad for a little bit...she was the first chicken that I ever did love. But I really do like my others.

9. robin416

There will be another that will creep in, not because of health challenges but because of it's personality. We've all had a couple. At least those of us that have been raising them for a while.

Sylie likes this.
  10. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I second that Robin :) I will never forget my sweet Old English Crele (named Echo). He was so amazing, so sweet and so hilarious, he did the funniest things.

We are hugging you K10