Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everything I need to do and know to hatch button quail????? In thinking robopetz will know!!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Did i hear my name? lol It's exactly like you would with chickens. Just way tiny. Incubator, brooder... The whole works. You would needs to put marbles or something like it in the water dish so they don't drown cause they are so tiny. They are fun, entertaining and be careful for this one... addicting! Lol they grow really really fast 4-6 weeks till adult and laying eggs already.

Are you getting some?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
robopetz said:
Did i hear my name? lol It's exactly like you would with chickens. Just way tiny. Incubator, brooder... The whole works. You would needs to put marbles or something like it in the water dish so they don't drown cause they are so tiny. They are fun, entertaining and be careful for this one... addicting! Lol they grow really really fast 4-6 weeks till adult and laying eggs already.

Are you getting some?
Yes my friend has two (male and female) and they are in an atrium, by the female is laying A LOT of eggs so I said i would incubate so looks like I will be!!!! Hahaha I'm sure it's like the baby gambles quail at the rescue but just wasn't sure about anything I needed to do different

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yay for you! I'm not the only one here now. Lol. What do you plan to keep them in? I'm not sure about other quails but buttons like to jump up high. I forget the exact name of what it's called they do but it's like they just boink up to the roof. So some people pad the top of the cage. Some buttons has boink'ed so bad that they caused lots of damage and can be fatal.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robopetz said:
Yay for you! I'm not the only one here now. Lol. What do you plan to keep them in? I'm not sure about other quails but buttons like to jump up high. I forget the exact name of what it's called they do but it's like they just boink up to the roof. So some people pad the top of the cage. Some buttons has boink'ed so bad that they caused lots of damage and can be fatal.
I am getting a 6 or 5 foot run and it is about 4 feet high?? It's pretty big I have it set aside at the rescue lol! My friend gave it to us and we don't use it so I said I would take it lol! Now any restrictions with keeping the siblings together???? Mating or??

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
birdguy said:
How do you sex them??? Even siblings??? Haha
The males have this thing under their beak called a bib. It's black and white, looks like a smiley face. The females don't. But it's hard when you have the silver or white colored ones cause the bib don't show. There's other ways of sexing them but I'm learning as I go.

Photo via google..

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay we had one at the rescue... A he and he was named Benjamin button haha no idea who that is but everyone liked it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts