Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my hens hatched her first clutch of eggs about a month or two ago and has since been enclosed in a pen away from the rest of the flock. One day i let them out to join the rest of the flock to graze and another hen, less than a year old, came up to the mother hen, flogged her and stole her baby chicks. the original mom didn't even put up a fight she just left and hasn't thought twice about it? The young hen is acting and doing just like the first one did. She clucks, protects, scratches, and lets the babys set under just like the older hen did? has anyone heard of this or has had this happened before. should a hen that young even be showing mother instincts, i mean she hasn't even started laying yet?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
How funny chickens can be! I'm curious too as to what the answer to this is. Some breeds are more motherly and broody than others even though they are not of age for laying yet.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Not sure, maybe the one who hatched the eggs didn't have a strong mother instinct and the one who took over has good instincts. It's funny how nature works.

·
Administrator
20,615 Posts
Hang on to that younger girl. Those are the birds to be cherished when they will take on chicks from another. I've got one old roo that would take over parenting when a problem would arise.

·
Administrator
20,615 Posts
I have a question, was the adoptive Mom broody not long before she took over the chicks and either didn't hatch or was unsuccessful?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no we had one other one that weom that went broody earlyer this year. a hen from that very same clutch is the one in the photo.

·
173 Posts
I would just let it be that way. I had a hen hatch out chicks and die shortly afterwards, her full sister immediately took the chicks and cared for them. I thought it was great to see that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts