Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With only getting a couple of eggs a day, we normally just carry our 2 or 3 eggs in by hand. But after incubating for the first time. It's got me thinking.....if we end up with 12 girls - or more. What do people use to collect their eggs to carry in? The old wicket trug basket? Or the metal pail? Do peeps have favourites? Please tell me what you use....and why! TY x

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
What ever I have in hand ... even a shirt tail. lol

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Yep I've tucked them in my shirt tail a few times. Today there were 16 since I didn't pick them up yesterday. Too many for the shirt so I grabbed an empty feed bag and used that. Whatever works. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
You all make me want more chickens. We have 4 only 3 laying but with 100+ heat been getting average 2 a day so either my hands or the bowl with all the veggies I've picked.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some good ideas. Love the ole bucket pic Cogburn. Think I will out for a wicker basket or wooden trug! Anybody else got any pics or ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I only gets 3 eggs a day right now at all different times. The duck lays in the morning, and the 2 chickens afternoon. Normally I pick up the duck egg when I open the coop and the kids grab the other eggs as the girls lay. Once all the girls are laying I guess I'll use what ever I grab at the moment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I usually use a basket, but while working in the coop thismorning, I put an egg in my pocket.... And forgot about it!

·
Mother Hen
11 Posts
I use a small galvenized bucket to carry their daily ration of scratch to my chickens. Once I've emptied the pail, I then use it to gather the 4-6 eggs. I always thank my girls for their eggs, too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
A wire basket I got from the dollar store.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have 5 laying hens 3 RIR and 2 bantams i just take out a egg box and then just take them back!! But some time I leav the eggs to grow and the eventually I have like 20 to go and collect so I use a old bucket like cogburns

1 - 20 of 35 Posts