Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I wouldnt worry yet, I could very well be wrong. My opinion is Red sex link since they came from TSC and my TSC only sells sex links and cornish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would it say variety pullets then? The Cornish were in a sep bin plus they had a bin for red pullets, and straight run bantams. O well either way it doesn't matter now. LOL

·
Registered
159 Posts
The one is a red sex link. The others could be white leghorns. I bought brown leghorns, white leghorns, and red sex links from TS. Of the 6 brown leghorns, four are Roos! One tried to crow this morning...he needs a lot of work! Lol

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
They are soo funny when they first try to crow!! I will run to the coop and ask them "Who said that?" and they all look at ME like I'M the goofy one around here. Silly birds. :p

·
Banned
825 Posts
They are soo funny when they first try to crow!! I will run to the coop and ask them "Who said that?" and they all look at ME like I'M the goofy one around here. Silly birds. :p
Ha-Ha !!! :D
Well....YOU are the "goofy-one" !
( from THEIR perspective )
Ha-Ha !!! :)
-ReTIRED- :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
That's funny! I cannot understand why I catch them eating feathers from each other. And when they can't get them down all the way, they pound the bottom of the cage with the feather tip to force the feather down. Is that weird or what?

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
That's funny! I cannot understand why I catch them eating feathers from each other. And when they can't get them down all the way, they pound the bottom of the cage with the feather tip to force the feather down. Is that weird or what?
If they eat the tail feathers of each other, that is a protein deffiency. They eat the tailfeathers because they have blood in them. The blood contains protein, so they eat them. They are called the bloodfeathers. You can up the protein in the feed, or the easy fix is to throw some dry cat food in the pen with them, or open a can of wet cat food and empty it for them. I did that, and the problem stopped immediately!!! Cool, huh?

·
Registered
159 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
If they eat the tail feathers of each other, that is a protein deffiency. They eat the tailfeathers because they have blood in them. The blood contains protein, so they eat them. They are called the bloodfeathers. You can up the protein in the feed, or the easy fix is to throw some dry cat food in the pen with them, or open a can of wet cat food and empty it for them. I did that, and the problem stopped immediately!!! Cool, huh?
Thanks for the info. I have been feeding them a dry food from Tractor Supply that supposedly had all their nutritional needs, to include protein. Looks like I need to upgrade their diet.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Chicks can get boored easy. Crowded conditions can also cause feather picking. Once they get a taste of blood, they'll keep picking at it till that chick is dead.
:eek:
If you have any green leafy weeds growing that you can pull a few up, throw a weed or 2 in with them. That'll give them something to play with while they scratch and pick at them. It would really be great if there were a few bugs on the leaves too. (good protein) Maybe they'll forget about feathers long enough for them to grow out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
I always find it adorable!!! They look so funny thinking they're all tough huge roosters lol! Gotta love 'em

1 - 19 of 19 Posts