Chicken Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
How nice your people are in AL! OKLA is famous for their hospitable people and should be the place everyone goes for any kind of help and support for any and every industry.
Whoa, YOU DO MOVE A LOT!!! And interesting moves, too! Any regrets?

Everyone in the family traveled really good! How sweet of you to ask. My eldest dog threw up in the car and then on the hotel bed. Oops! But I used to do the very same thing when I was a kid. So she probably got that from me.

Now for the acreage . . .I thought I knew what I was going to do until I realized the enormity of the space and the work to be done in the lower 40. W O W! So I am back to the drawing board on design plans. But the dog yard is really B I G and should keep them running around and having fun out in nature. All I can think of is TREES. Natives, pine trees, fruit trees, big shady trees. And since water comes from a well--free--why not put in grass? Weeds, sunflowers, and grasshoppers are all over the place. Whew! So many options.
This project (called life) will take awhile to accustom myself to! There is still much to do before concrete or any decking or hardscape can go in. I'm all over the place!!!!!!
Extra good news: neighbors have chickens and cattle and everyone has dogs. and it'll be a mudbath if something isn't done before any weather comes our way! The shoes! The floors! I cannot find any of my boots. CRISIS!

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
Now you understand how being nine years in this spot is actually a long time for me. I hated MA. Hated it! Did I list VA, Lived there for 8 years too. That was a great move and that's where I met my hubs.

Have you gotten prices yet for things like the well and septic? Be sitting down when you do. The costs have gone through the roof since I had mine done 30 some years ago. Even then our well was 6K but our septic was only a grand.

What or where are you living while waiting on all the rest to come together?

As long the canine's humans are in place, they'll be OK. I've traveled them and cats for years. They just have to know the two legged part of their pack is close.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can't imagine living in MA, but I sure have a ton of ancestors who settled it. I actually can't understand many of the accents there abouts. I married a New Englander and he had to decipher whatever his mother said to me on the phone. I just got back from VA, NC, SC, TN, GA and really liked the smokies (man, could I b-r-e-a-t-h-e there!), but I couldn't find what I wanted and the culture there is not the type to try to help you even if you are paying for their service. AND, I hated the food! They must all have rotten teeth because "crisp" is not in their vocabulary, salads are a mystery, and all they boast about is something starchy. Don't get me wrong . . .ALL FOOD IS GPOOD FOOD in my head, but not there! New England food, though, is fabulous. Share you guys!

I hit my limit. I need to snooze under the shower for a few hours. Great talk.

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
And that's where you dance to your own drummer when it comes to food. The thinking is different in the mountains and you learn to adjust to it. When I lived in the N Ga mountains I loved it. If you were warm to them they were warm to you.

I eat predominantly Mediterranean. Luckily living where I do I can get most of what I need to fix my meals. I do have to order some spices from the net though. I have noooo imagination when it comes to cooking. I stumbled across this one site and have been hooked ever since.

If you have neighbors that will step up and lend a hand consider where you landed home. I've got that here and is one of the main reasons I've chosen to stay stuck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You will be thrilled to know that our new neighbors are out of this world wonderful! "Why don't you drop off your dogs (4) and we'll look after them? and hey, why not use our laundry while your waiting for your home. " Crazy. Not that we plan to take advantage of their generosity, but what a response! So I plan to reciprocate with some harvested veggies and fresh eggs later on. Fina a pretty basket . . .

Mediterranean? Umm. I love to cook and made a living cooking for people in their homes. Long ago, that is. I couldn't keep myself from saving recipes, so I just kept it up and put them into a cooking software program now reaching 10K! Knowing that I WOULD (if it killed me) have a flourishing garden one day, I'd be able to turn all these recipes into freeze-dried meals for my aging self or send as gifts or store for the end of time. And then I'd have dehydrated and fresh deliciousness from my land. So, I bought some local fruit yesterday and ate it with the intention of saving the pits for tree making. Butttttttttt . ... not too tasty. Honestly, how about some healthy fertilizer and compost to bring up the flavor? So, I think I'll just buy some fruit trees. I saw a big greenhouse outfit nearby and plan to pop in for sensory overload.

The big plan today is to photoshoot all the angles of the land from inside the house and out so that I can plant trees where I can see them bloom and fruit and change seasons, etc. I will place the planting onto the phots so that husband can understand what is where and how it looks. He has no thumbs. And I have to nail down the BEST location for my feathered girls. You understand!

For EASY recipe hunting for a non cook, try You Tube. There are transcripts you can copy and paste and you can save the video as well.

Man, I smell like dog food!
Talk later after a day of watching equipment wheel around in dirt. Oh to be a kid again.

P.S. Are these communication available to all on this site or the world or what?
Have a grand slam day!

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
Folks like that make all the difference in the world when you settle in. I've got folks like that all around me. They found out my hubs was sick and had to go to a hospital three hours away. Without me knowing they got together and said don't worry about anything here, we've got hit. And they did. For six weeks.

Yes, plant your own trees. They've scared all the flavor out of fruit making it shippable. There is nothing like grabbing your own off your own trees. But if you see a roadside stand or have a farmers market. Check them out. Sometimes they will have the tasty fresh stuff.

Yes, the world can see your delight. Only those registered can talk to you but everything else is out there. It's why we discourage any posting of personal data. For times we need to we have what they are now calling "conversation." If you click on your avatar in the upper right you'll see where it says conversation. Or my hovering over my avatar you will see message in the lower right. I'm not sure they even know they left things so up in the air when they were trying to be cute with the new forum.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Today's a new day and I feel like I can orchestrate all the moving parts that seem to be airborne. Having said that, I need to landscape digitally, so I will say nite nite until I come up for air.

My hub is sick too and with a rare disease. Do you have PTSD yet? How is he now? And you? ....................................................Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maisey looks like a kick! Blown out Poo? I can't help you with the Guineas, I don't think anyone can help you about Guineas! Joking. I like quail a lot but I wouldn't wish to be trekking the field to find eggs. Otherwise, I could stock up on Californias and Bobwhites!!

Here's my old girl lapping up the luxury at the hotel.
Furniture Dog Comfort Wood Bed frame

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
Goldendoodle. She is a mess. But she's mine and she knows it.

I had Guineas in the past. I really like them but it's time for me to let all of the outside birds go. I'm one of those people who learned how to live with them and semi train them to come when I call and to go in a coop at night.

Sorry, quail don't free range. You'd never see them again if they did. Bobwhite would do alright out in the wild but most of the others have had the survival instincts bred out of them.

What breed is your girl? The long face makes me think greyhound but I don't think that's right.

·
Registered
57 Posts
"She is a mess. But she's mine and she knows it." YES! Spoken like a true mom.

Yes, Our girl is a Greyhound . . .all our girls are Greyhounds. Great dogs! Funny. Loads of sillyness.

Goldendoodles are sweet as pie. Your trim is a poodle trim, so I wondered what was up with her. In your heat, I would think all dogs would be shaved DOWN!

So may I ask how you got into a chicken forum since you are no longer a chicken mother? My family have California Quail roaming their yard. Wild ones. Free rangers that hide under the bushes. They are PRETTY birds and much bigger in person. Turkeys wander up and around (checking everybody out) for handouts, those beggars! My dad always had some corn at the ready whenever they came a callin'. So much for the wild.

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
That was her with her puppy coat. If I can get her to quit playing with her ball launcher I'll see if I can get a good today pic of her.

I'll be darned. I have not seen Greyhounds here yet. You would think I would since there used to be a Greyhound track in FL. What I see a lot of down here are the pit bulls and some bull dogs. Now the doodles are really catching fire.

Because I did raise them. A lot of them. I had Silkies predominantly but I also had d'Uccles and Dutch and silver spangled Hamburgs. But they got to be too much so I sold out. I kept 15 pet birds. And over the next ten years they slowly died out.

I've been here almost since the beginning. Started as a member, became a mod and then an admin. Non paid. But I'm still a member before anything else. I always will be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Funny . . .all those Greys from FL are ours and if they are not ours, we placed them in good homes! We closed the tracks. It's hard to get them (or will be) from here on out. We let our pup off the leash the second our fence went up and THERE SHE GOES! The building crew liked watching her just take off over "the dog acres," You get a sense of pride watching the little sprinter enjoy what you made for her (them).

Yeah, and what's up with everyone getting Pit Bulls? Everywhere I go, they're there. And unusually unleased (of all breeds). And they are mostly illegals in cities and incorporated areas, so having one would cramp any move to be around people ever again. Having been severely mauled before, please DO NOT let any comments reach me that are idolizing Pit Bulls or other aggressive breeds (some of which I love and have had, BTW). There is a real good reason people have restrained breeding, etc. Not that they (and so many others) don't have a sweetie pie side, but once those jaws lock . . . .goodbye limbs and I hope they are required to get loads of insurance to pay for the damage.

Glad you are a moderator! It seems to be your calling (after pet mom). I can't believe you had a Dutch chicken. I have eyed their pictures online. Pretty.

I hit my exhaustion due to moving part of the day. Take care, be good, get a windfall, and make a new friend!

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
Either I wasn't watching closely or they didn't hit the news here for adoption. I had thought I would. They fly a lot of adoptions to the NE since they are so much better about spaying and neutering up there.

I've never been comfortable around them. But I've never been comfortable around any breed that is that heavily muscled. I had/have dogs for comfort and occasional snuggling. I just can't see that with them.

The sweetest birds I had were the d'Uccles. They like their humans a ton. Where the other were indifferent the little d's could be counted on to come say hi. One time hubs came in from work, went out back and there was Prissy out of her pen. She walked up to him and talked and talked, (Had no clue who he was) He bent down, picked her up, her talking the entire time and put her in her pen.

I can imagine how wonderful it was to see the legs stretched out doing what they do best. Run. They are a sight to behold when they do that.

I'm the only that has really stuck around from the start so they had few choices to make someone a mod.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You have Greyhounds wrong! They are famous for being cuddlers and couch potatoes! Snugglebunnies. But yes, muscled. They are born with their own high heels. They often draw a crow when they get into the running mode. They're sight hounds and can see to the ends of the earth. When they spot something of great interest, they stop hard! There is nothing that can persuade them of anything else of interest, either. So one time I was at a standstill for more than 5 minutes. I really looked as hard as I could just across the street into a light shrub forest. There was absolutely nothing, no movement, etc. But since I wasn't allowed to continue walking (just forget it!) I watched and watched and watched. Right out of the blue--it seemed to me--an entire herd of deer lifted their antlers due to something and I couldn't believe it! The camouflage was perfect and they didn't move or anything while eating the shrub. Crazy. But Gracie knew and loved watching them. m She also halted to watch someone in a window way down the road. They get along with everyone and everything too. And the reason you probably didn't hear anything about the track closures is that that's been going along on the east coast for awhile and since when does the news give you facts? Really, they make it all up so the world relies on groupthink knowing only the version of events as they wish you to know them. They go to college just to learn how to do that to you and me!

Okay, off the soap box.

But you'd have to apply for a dog at a Greyhound rescue to get one anyway. If you never did that, you wouldn't likely get one.

Moving in tomorrow. See the smoke coming out of my ears?

·
Administrator
24,682 Posts
Oh no, I wasn't talking about the greys. Far from it. Those heavily muscled dogs like the pits are just not in my comfort zone. I wouldn't want harm to come to them but I have no place for them in my life.

How is this going to work now that the tracks have been shut down? Where will people get them that really love the breed. I've always thought they were so regal looking with those long legs and heads held high.

Hurray! I know you're glad to be able to settle in. And to be able to let the dogs run free.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Totally agree about those muscles potato sack dogs. But I will say that my foot found the breaks when I spotted a bulldog puppy who was creamy white with cow spots! Harmless breed but I can lift a Greyhound better. And I have to. One of my pooches stepped on glass and so we got to meet mister vet. Stitches and drugs, poor sweetie.
I'll have to find her snowbooties so she can tear up the yard.

I'm still working on the "dog park" and will rim the acre with trees, put in sod, and do some hardscape. Sounds so simple! The birdbath is the only thing out there looking back at us.
I made a few friends already-+you'd be pleased--and a gardening friend who came home from vacation to find all her chickens were killed. Predator ate their heads and left the rest. The coop and run were enclosed. Someone was determined!

Well, I lost the thread of reason. My brainwaves are experiencing shortages.
Moving in tomorrow!!!! Yippee!!!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts