Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What have you found to be the most economical source for winter greens? I like to give my birds spring greens and sprouts, but both are on the expensive side, and I can’t give them some every day.

While placing my order on Azure, I noticed an organic 40 pound bag of alfalfa for $17. Now alfalfa pellets wouldn’t be nearly as entertaining to eat as real plants, but I could crunch them and toss in with the scratch for a little extra boost during the cold months. Anyone try soaking these pellets?

Any other ideas?

Organism Font Plant Adaptation Natural foods

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
I have and mine didn't touch it. I also tried the cubes, those were a no go too. They did enjoy alfalfa hay in a bale. I'd take out a flake from time to time for them to rip in to. And if you can find non compressed straw bales, chickens love scratching around in those and collecting the few seeds to be found. The straw went in to outside pens and eventually became mulch.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've sprouted dry lentils for mine in the past, but they didn't seem to care for them too much so I quit. I'm sure there are many other dried seeds like chia you could sprout for them, but for my location there is always something green for them to eat when they're free ranging which they get to do daily.

·
Super Moderator
4,339 Posts
I have and mine didn't touch it. I also tried the cubes, those were a no go too. They did enjoy alfalfa hay in a bale. I'd take out a flake from time to time for them to rip in to. And if you can find non compressed straw bales, chickens love scratching around in those and collecting the few seeds to be found. The straw went in to outside pens and eventually became mulch.
We throw in horse hay from time to time because it's what we have access to, and they tear it up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am experimenting with trying to sprout the Dollar Tree quinoa. Lol. It doesn’t say that it is cooked or toasted. We will see!

This summer I think I will work on drying various greens and storing it for the winter. I don’t have a barn to store it, but maybe 5 gallon buckets with silica packs???

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, the dried greens.
Ok, I was thinking about random outdoor things in the yard. Like grass clippings, weeds, overgrown garden greens, beet tops, dandelions, etc…. Kind of make my own more nutritious “hay”. What they don’t eat, I can rake out with the poo and toss in the compost. I will have to wait until summer to test that theory, though. I guess worst case scenario they would have something to scratch through when everything is frozen.

My biggest issues are figuring out how to store it and fighting moisture.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why are we here before our house is inspected for occupancy??
1. We sold our home at Xmas and we're renting back at an exorbitant price that was being subtracted from things I wanted to buy!!! Hum. Fantasies!
2. We had been wanting to move for some time as our little no-account town had turned into a vision for a mega metropolis that we had already escaped a century before. It followed us for God's sake!!!
3. We got a variety of time and date quotes for occupancy and furniture delivery...so it's easier to just be at the ready.
4. Dogs, chickens, their parents, and orchard and all things permaculture would thrive on sweet clean water and air without a rush of people moving into every freaking square foot of that urban sprawl!
5. There is nothing like destressing every aspect of your life!

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
I wasn't kidding when I said I moved a lot. I've actually lived in AL three times. GA, twice. Ma, once. WA state, once. TX, once. MI, multiple times. Oh, I forgot TN. And FL.

The warmth of the people is the big draw here. Whether you share the same political or religious opinions or not. We just don't discuss them.

What I meant about being here is how do you have the energy after the long drive and getting settled. How did the critters do?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts