Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to plant something and grow it to feed my chicken something that will keep growing.. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
They LOVE LOVE LOVE tomatoes!!! Also lettuce is another favorite. Abbie helped herself when I wasn't looking last summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am responding to this thread so I can get some good ideas too. I want to able to plant near their run so it has a chance to grow before they eat the seeds. I had my whole vegetable drawer go a little bad. I chopped up everything in it and gave it to the birds. Lettuce, cucumber, tomato, carrots, and celery. It was a HUGE salad. They ate it all in minutes. They left the carrots behind! The squirrels are trying to sneak in and get them!

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
A good perennial pasture mix that has a variety of greens. If it's a good mix for horses, then it's a good mix for chickens.

·
Small Farmer
17 Posts
I went to our local seed supplier, we live in a farming community and bought a 50# bag of wheat. we then started a bunch of flats of wheat grass. They absolutely love it. I can grow a flat every day for a couple of months on the $15 I spent on the seed. Just an idea. good luck, i'm interested in other fast to grow stuff also.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love to see chickens able to get at greens, but we will plant ours in the ground. Once established, the roots should go very deep (talking 4-8 feet and some may go deeper!) --chickens scratching may also find bugs, worms and weeds, but should not destroy the grass! Esp. if you keep them moving/rotating through various areas using electric netting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think chooks vary in what they like as much as people. My girls ignore the tomatoes in the garden but any warragul greens (New Zealnd spinach) gets dso throughly devoured that even with wire over the top it doesn't survive. They love all types of spinach, young wheat and celery. Most herbs will get a mild pecking but only "in passing".

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I feed mine any extras from the garden ... they love it.

·
Banned
825 Posts
Alfalfa. Give it time enough for the roots to go deep before letting the chickens ATTACK it. It will come back each year.
Let it grow for one season. THEN...let them get to about 1/2 of it....and see how it does the next year.
I just trim my little alfalfa patch....and throw the chickens the trimmings. ( GOOD Protein ! )

-ReTIRED-:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
cluck_and_quack said:
I am responding to this thread so I can get some good ideas too. I want to able to plant near their run so it has a chance to grow before they eat the seeds. I had my whole vegetable drawer go a little bad. I chopped up everything in it and gave it to the birds. Lettuce, cucumber, tomato, carrots, and celery. It was a HUGE salad. They ate it all in minutes. They left the carrots behind! The squirrels are trying to sneak in and get them!
Mine lives carrot but won't eat any green veg or salad bit. Turns her beak up at tomato too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definitely the new zealand spinach/warragul greens. My chooks will eat almost anything from the garden, they love corn and even nibble the leaves. Spinach, lettuce any leafy greens. They will even eat potato and tomato leaves and chili/pepper/capsicum leaves. They ate all the leaves off a fairly large branch of an eggplant/aubergine. So pretty much anything. They eat a lot of grass too.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I am planting extra for my chickens as well. I am trying 3 different types if sunflower seeds, lots of kale, collard greens, and all the dandelions I can pull from my yard. I am the rebel in the neighborhood. I don't use any chemicals on my yard, and that really irks them. They are still dumping boatloads of chemicals so they can have astro turf looking lawns. I try to appease and pull as many as I can so they don't go to seed and spread....so they can dump more chemicals. Anyway, the chickens and my husbands bearded dragon love dandelions

·
1,466 Posts
mine love squash, pumpkins,cucumbers. they will also go after onions & green peppers if you cook them up 1st

1 - 20 of 34 Posts