Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just visited a friend of mine that has geese and i loved them. I was thinking of getting some geese too, i am wondering what kind to get. I will probably not be slaughtering them but instead using them for egg laying purposes. What would be a good egg laying goose? I know that chinese and african are good egg laying geese but i want a more attractive looking goose.
-Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
They are atractive lookin. A least to me. I just dont like the white colored ones. Not many breeds bred for egg production, mostly meat birds. I dont have a lot of experiance with all of the geese breeds so someone else can answer. I will do a little research for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
From wat i read chinese is the best for amount of eggs. 30-45 a year. But the eggs are decent in size just a bit smaller than other breeds. Wat u could do is get a chinese cross so it can have hybrid vigor. More eggs and larger size. Also it can get ride of some of that chinese look that you dont like.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I have 2 African geese, I like how they look. But get whatever breed you like. There is not all that many breeds so just decide which is the most important trait, look that up on Metzer Hatchery site (they have a large selection and pics so you can see them all in one place instead of googling each breed). Then from there pick your next trait to narrow it down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Most of the european type breeds are just for meat,but i do not know specificly wat is the amount that the saddle back lays. Unless u get a large flock of birds u really wont be etting much eggs out of the them. They are more for looks and are a future source of meat. They really only laying a lot during spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts