Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have read up on ducks a lot and have decided I want to get a couple. But I am stuck on one thing...what breed to get? I want friendly, and good layers. If you have any suggestions please tell me! And a picture if you have one would help too :)

·
977 Posts
They are mess! Just so you know! I only have Pekin and I love them! They follow my around everywhere . Not so much my older ones anymore but my only duckling Klutzy, can not be 2 inches from me! I have 2 , 1 year old females , I get 2 eggs a day. I only have 1 male and that's enough for me! This baby I have grown attached to very much!

image-3644689050.jpg

image-423685864.jpg

Even begs at the table for food!

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kaufranc said:
They are mess! Just so you know! I only have Pekin and I love them! They follow my around everywhere . Not so much my older ones anymore but my only duckling Klutzy, can not be 2 inches from me! I have 2 , 1 year old females , I get 2 eggs a day. I only have 1 male and that's enough for me! This baby I have grown attached to very much!

Even begs at the table for food!
Yes, I've heard! Lol, other than that they sound amazing. And that's so cute how they follow you! Did you handle them a lot as ducklings?? There adorable by the way! :D

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
If you want friendly and a good layer, Pekins are great ducks. I also enjoy my mallards, but they are skittish, the Rouens are still young so not sure on how many eggs they will lay but they are friendly as well. I would love to add some Cayuga's to my flock :)

Here is my Pekins (Po, deceased) and Ducky MoMo and some of the Mallards

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apyl said:
If you want friendly and a good layer, Pekins are great ducks. I also enjoy my mallards, but they are skittish, the Rouens are still young so not sure on how many eggs they will lay but they are friendly as well. I would love to add some Cayuga's to my flock :)

Here is my Pekins (Po, deceased) and Ducky MoMo and some of the Mallards
There adorable! I think I might get some Pekins. Thanks so much! This is really helping me decide :)

And I'm so sorry for your loss! I haven't lost any of my birds, but I know since they are pets it's very hard.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My indian runner duck is an interesting character lol. She is the first to come running to me and she loves to nibble on my fingers. She still hasnt started laying yet but they are supposed to be prolific layers. I also have a khaki campbell, two rouns, and two welsh harliquins. All awsome birds. The rouns lay an egg a day and same thing with the female welsh. The khaki hasnt started laying yet but is supposed to be the best layer breed. I dont know how u can choose a single breed lol. Get a mixed flock with a few pure breeding pairs so some of the babies can be purebred. I had pelins but they ate the most and were the noisiest. Couldnt handle it. He male went to the choping block and the female went to a neighbor who has moscoveys.... Now those are the ugliest ducks i have ever seen.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EdisNiksic said:
My indian runner duck is an interesting character lol. She is the first to come running to me and she loves to nibble on my fingers. She still hasnt started laying yet but they are supposed to be prolific layers. I also have a khaki campbell, two rouns, and two welsh harliquins. All awsome birds. The rouns lay an egg a day and same thing with the female welsh. The khaki hasnt started laying yet but is supposed to be the best layer breed. I dont know how u can choose a single breed lol. Get a mixed flock with a few pure breeding pairs so some of the babies can be purebred. I had pelins but they ate the most and were the noisiest. Couldnt handle it. He male went to the choping block and the female went to a neighbor who has moscoveys.... Now those are the ugliest ducks i have ever seen.
Ok, cool. Ya I couldn't decide either! That's why I made this thread lol. I think I'm gonna do like you said, get a mixed flock and a few pure breeding pairs. Can't wait to get my little duckies lol! Thanks so much! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I looooooove my ducks! They make me laugh everytime I'm outside..

We have 2 khaki campbell girls, and 3 indian runners, and they're very friendly. My khaki Campbell girls are very tame and can be picked up and feed out of my hand :) they also lay me an egg everyday!
They have a day off every 8 days or so.. They're a great choice IMO :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Loopychicklady said:
I looooooove my ducks! They make me laugh everytime I'm outside..

We have 2 khaki campbell girls, and 3 indian runners, and they're very friendly. My khaki Campbell girls are very tame and can be picked up and feed out of my hand :) they also lay me an egg everyday!
They have a day off every 8 days or so.. They're a great choice IMO :)
Great! Thanks so much for the info :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out Saxonys. They are similar to pekins in disposition and size, but colored like a washed out mallard. They will lay plenty of eggs and raise young. They can be hard to find, but they are an exceptional breed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really want saxoneys. That look so pretty. But i want birds from a breeder and cant seem to find any in my area. I guess im gonna have get hatchery birds....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GHG said:
Check out Saxonys. They are similar to pekins in disposition and size, but colored like a washed out mallard. They will lay plenty of eggs and raise young. They can be hard to find, but they are an exceptional breed.
Hm, might have to get some of those ;) thanks!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts