What Breed Rooster? and Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by Karen Mangold, Sep 9, 2020.

1. danathome

danathome Active Member

Here are pics of my roosters. I have lots of hawks(even an occasional eagle!) around my chicken run and pastures where the chickens free range. To the best of my knowledge, I have not lost any chickens yet. I wonder if this is due to the roosters I keep, always 2-7 in number.
    Count on it! Your roosters have, no doubt, saved you countless birds.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Just recently I saw something with the Guineas I hadn't seen all Summer. Yes, there were alerts for anyone overhead but no one seemed to take them seriously.

Evidently there's a sound that is different when it's the real thing. I walked out of the house, found all of the keets, half grown by this time, hunkered under a branch with leaves on it. Two adults by my truck so they could take cover and one standing guard over the keets. All three keeping watch on a tree. None of them moved when I came out which is usually a sign all is well. Never saw whatever it was. Usually if it's a hawk it flies out as soon as I show up.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez New Member

The roosters in the first and third pics are 1 year old but the middle pic(not sure it is a rooster) if about 6 months old. Their legs are all greyish color.
    I practiced Neurology from 1981 to 1996 then , I moved and worked an accident and injury clinic until 2015.

4. robin416

As you know much of what you use in the practice of medicine can translate to our birds. So, jump in when there are questions about issues with them.

Besides the Guineas how much did your flock grow this year?

5. Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez New Member

Just had a guinea hatch 10 of 19 eggs but not sure how many will survive. Have 18 keets in brooder that I hatched and will release them soon. Have 12 chicks between me and the hens hatching them. Have a hen sitting on 4 eggs now that should hatch out in 10 days. In total I have about 60 birds now ,assuming the dogs haven't killed any while I am writing this.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  6. robin416

I'd say chicken math but you've got the Guineas too. LOL

I'm hooked on my Guineas, I gave up my chickens but couldn't not have Guineas in my life.

7. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I started surg/psych in the State hospital system and ended up working competency for the court system and then Medicare compliance. I hated compliance, I retired this past January.

Overmountain1 likes this.