What Breed Rooster? and Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed/Gender is This?' started by Karen Mangold, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Karen Mangold

Karen Mangold New Member

DSCN4630.JPG DSCN4635.JPG These are from Hoover Hatchery (rare breed package) - what breed are they? rooster and hen

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2020
    Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

The hen is an Easter Egger. I don't know about the rooster. Love his markings. The way he's standing there I think he knows he's pretty handsome.

Karen Mangold likes this.

3. Karen Mangold

Karen Mangold New Member

He is a bit of a show off! He's got 20 hens all to himself - he was supposed to be a hen also.

4. robin416

I just noticed, does he have feathers down the front of his legs? That would probably point to him being a mix.

You ended up with a good addition to the flock. Roosters are so entertaining when they are good boys and don't have issues with the humans around them.

5. Karen Mangold

Karen Mangold New Member

DSCN4622.JPG he has feathers on one leg. If he is mixed then I'm disappointed that Hoover Hatchery would send a mix breed chick - and then send a rooster when I ordered hens.

6. robin416

If he's not a mix someone will come along to correct me. For me, there's nothing wrong with mixed they make some of the most stunning and hardy birds.

Covid has affected hatcheries this year so there have been more than normal mistakes made. But the numbers of orders were way up because of the virus so it was bound to happen.

7. Karen Mangold

Karen Mangold New Member

He is a big guy so I'm happy with him. thanks for letting me know.

8. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Robin, you are so right about the hatcheries this year. 2020 was the weirdest year ever!

9. Poultry Judge

How old are the birds? Do you know how tall your rooster is and what he weighs by chance? I agree with Robin, right now, I'd say he's a cross but depending on how old he is, he might continue to sort out appearance and feather-wise. The main thing is if he is a good rooster!

10. Karen Mangold

Karen Mangold New Member

DSCN4652.JPG DSCN4664.JPG DSCN4661.JPG DSCN4654.JPG
    The flock will be 5 months old on the 15th of this month. Here is a photo with his hens, I don't know how much he weighs. I think he will be a good rooster, but early on he was trying to breed the guineas (he stopped doing that, thankfully, and started paying attention to his hens). He did charge at me a few times, but after a few air kicks and bucket throws on my part, he has learned his place. ;-)
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020
  11. Poultry Judge

Okay thanks for the pics, he is medium size, (station), perhaps we can revisit in a few more months as he will continue to have feather changes.

12. Karen Mangold

Karen Mangold New Member

Okay, sounds great. thanks again.

13. robin416

Now that is a lawn ornament flock. Full of different colors and patterns. That makes them all the more pleasing to watch.

Poultry Judge and Karen Mangold like this.
  14. Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez New Member

I have multiple roosters that look very much like him and all are barn yard mixes. French Black Maran was the original rooster and all my roosters are his descendants but my hens are Wellsummers, Lite Brahmas, Orphingtons, Female Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, Golden Comet and French Black Maran), so I have no idea who the mother hens were. The French Black Marans have the gene for feathers on the legs ,I believe.

15. danathome

danathome Active Member

A beautiful flock!! If you free range the rooster will earn his keep warning the hens of danger. Many of my flock, chickens, turkeys, and ducks, have been saved by the roosters' warning calls. I have witnessed this many times this summer/spring. Hawks, especially, will find it harder to catch a meal when there's a good rooster around.

16. Frank Alvarez

Frank Alvarez New Member

[​IMG] Here are pics of my roosters. I have lots of hawks(even an occasional eagle!) around my chicken run and pastures where the chickens free range. To the best of my knowledge, I have not lost any chickens yet. I wonder if this is due to the roosters I keep, always 2-7 in number. upload_2020-9-16_23-19-49.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-16_23-20-45.jpeg
    upload_2020-9-16_23-21-25.jpeg

17. Poultry Judge

Hey Frank! Thanks for posting the pics of your roosters. How old are they? In the last pic what color are his legs? I always believe that the roosters are a good moderating influence on the flock and some can be true gentlemen with looking after the hens and keeping them safe. What type of medicine did you practice? I'm a retired state government sawbones myself.

danathome likes this.
  18. robin416

He's got a pic of him sitting on the ground with his birds crawling all over him. It's one of those pics you don't forget.

19. Poultry Judge

20. robin416

Last I heard six inches in my spot. Way wet out there so I'm thinking it'll end up being a bit more.