Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I was going to say... hens don't normally have green feathering (at least I've never seen it) or enormous feet (maybe sometimes.) but who knows.... I would say it's not a RIR... The feathers are not all the same color and look black?? If it has RIR in it at all I'd say it's a cross... with very masculine features!

·
https://www.facebook.com/back2simplelife
382 Posts
Looks just like the RIR we watch over did a few months ago! Tall! All legs and nothing else! Now he has def hit maturity! One day his crown just tripled in size! I have felt he was a rir cross for months due to the white he has but owner says no.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My impression is roo...question: is it squatting for the Roos you have, or is it trying to get away?

·
Registered
630 Posts
You can tell by the saddle and tail feathers. I had a Marans rooster that my older White Leghorn roosters would try and breed. He tried to get away, but they would chase him down. I ended up having to seperate them.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It's a dominance thing, the older roos want to teach him to be subordinate before he gets big and strong enough to challenge them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a really flighty chicken so she runs from all the chickens and has not tried to mount or anything

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She's flighty so she runs away from everything including chickens she's not crowing or mounting soo

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
When I had two roosters (a really dominant one and an insanely submissive one) I thought the submissive one was a hen for the longest time... He didn't crow or mount any hens until long after I got rid of the dominant rooster! (Shame too - I was hoping he'd stay silent. haha.) I still think you have a rooster but if it pops out an egg then I'll resign my opinion. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WeeLittleChicken said:
When I had two roosters (a really dominant one and an insanely submissive one) I thought the submissive one was a hen for the longest time... He didn't crow or mount any hens until long after I got rid of the dominant rooster! (Shame too - I was hoping he'd stay silent. haha.) I still think you have a rooster but if it pops out an egg then I'll resign my opinion. :)
Yeah ha hopefully! I got 3 from the same person I was so upset to find two of them are probably Roos :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts