Chicken Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bird Vertebrate Phasianidae Chicken Beak

This young rooster (under one year in age) is currently at our town animal shelter. His “flock” consists of two rabbits. I am thinking about adopting him for my 7 - 18 month old girls (RIR, black sex link and barred rocks). The reason I am considering him is for flock protection as the girls free range. Any idea what breed he is? Advice on introducing him to an established flock?
Bird Fence Beak Mesh Pet supply

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
No clue. Even if he is a mix, it looks like he got the best of both parents. He's got nice form. Nice plumage.

That said, why is he there? Anyone know? If he was given up for being aggressive that would be important to know.

You'd do with him just like you'd do with any new bird. He goes into quarantine for a month away from the flock. He's the last bird you take care of each time you go out. Then he's slowly introduced by being put in a spot where everyone can see and hear each other.

Free ranging seems like a less stressful time for getting to know each other since they have space to move away.

·
Registered
Floof queen
581 Posts
View attachment 42879

This young rooster (under one year in age) is currently at our town animal shelter. His “flock” consists of two rabbits. I am thinking about adopting him for my 7 - 18 month old girls (RIR, black sex link and barred rocks). The reason I am considering him is for flock protection as the girls free range. Any idea what breed he is? Advice on introducing him to an established flock? View attachment 42880
yes, no clue, like robin said. It looks like an all bird mix, but I'm blannk. Why do you want to know?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious. He has been at the shelter for 2-3 months-I volunteer there and have seen him grow and mature. He seems pretty even tempered and always looks after the rabbits that share his space. I do t know anything about roosters but would like to try and give him a better life.

·
Registered
Floof queen
581 Posts
Just curious. He has been at the shelter for 2-3 months-I volunteer there and have seen him grow and mature. He seems pretty even tempered and always looks after the rabbits that share his space. I do t know anything about roosters but would like to try and give him a better life.
that seems like behavior of all roosters

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Then give him a try. There really is no reason not to. Roosters can bring a whole different perspective to a flock.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,247 Posts
No idea on the breed but most likely a mix of some sort, he's gorgeous!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can certainly get a better picture-I will be back at the animal shelter on Sunday so keep a look out for new photos. Thanks again for everyone’s help

·
Super Moderator
3,841 Posts
No clue. Even if he is a mix, it looks like he got the best of both parents. He's got nice form. Nice plumage.

That said, why is he there? Anyone know? If he was given up for being aggressive that would be important to know.

You'd do with him just like you'd do with any new bird. He goes into quarantine for a month away from the flock. He's the last bird you take care of each time you go out. Then he's slowly introduced by being put in a spot where everyone can see and hear each other.

Free ranging seems like a less stressful time for getting to know each other since they have space to move away.
See, if you can find the circumstances of how he got there and how friendly he is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bird Beak Phasianidae Chicken Comb
as promised a couple additional photos.
Beak Plant Mammal Wood Galliformes
and a close up on the neck feathers. He was surrendered to the shelter on 7/22. He was a little guy then with a single tail feather. Seems very curious when you go to his cage which he shares with 2 rabbits.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts