Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I got this guy as a surprise chick from mcmurray hatchery and am trying to figure out what he is—barred Plymouth Rock or Dominique maybe? Definitely a rooster though, not full grown by any means but is similar in size to the Ameraucanas and legbars he arrived with. Thanks in advance!
Bird Phasianidae Chicken Comb Fence

Bird Phasianidae Fence Beak Mesh

·
Registered
254 Posts
The white earlobes and small tuft on his head means he is neither a Dominique nor a Barred Rock. He's either a poorly marked Legbar, or he's some sort of Legbar-based Easter-egger mix. I need to go open coops like 10 minutes ago (oops), so don't have time to look at McMurray's catalogue at the moment to see if they have any of the latter.

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
Wait a minute @fuzzies, which one are you talking about. I can't even begin to see earlobes on the one the OP is asking about. My eyes must be worse than I thought.

I know why you're late opening coops. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
His earlobe is visible, just under the floppy end of his comb. It does kind of blend in with his feathers, though!

Bird Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Beak

It also doesn't look like McMurray has any of the Legbar-based Easter-egger mixes that would look like this, so I'm going to say he's a Legbar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like he's welcome in your flock too. Which is nice since so many can't have them when they end up with one.
He definitely is welcome which is why I only just noticed that he’s a rooster when I heard crowing lol—my flock is very mixed though (hens of various ages, ducks, including a few meat drakes that need to go, an embeden goose and gander who is the papa of everyone) so I think everyone is polite and tolerant of one another because they’re used to variety and have the space to work out their social hierarchy

·
Registered
306 Posts
The white earlobes and small tuft on his head means he is neither a Dominique nor a Barred Rock. He's either a poorly marked Legbar, or he's some sort of Legbar-based Easter-egger mix. I need to go open coops like 10 minutes ago (oops), so don't have time to look at McMurray's catalogue at the moment to see if they have any of the latter.
X2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts