Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time chicken farmer

All i really know about chickens i have read online or the guy in the store told me.

Just wondering if some people in the community with more knowledge than me could help me out with Gender, and breed of this chicken.

I bought the chicken from a well known farm store that said they were all sexed at 90% hens.

The chicken is approximately 6-7 weeks old. The chickens name is EGGO and is by far my favorite so im hoping for a hen, I wont be able to keep a roo.

thanks for the help

mike

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
coolguymike27 said:
First time chicken farmer

All i really know about chickens i have read online or the guy in the store told me.

Just wondering if some people in the community with more knowledge than me could help me out with Gender, and breed of this chicken.

I bought the chicken from a well known farm store that said they were all sexed at 90% hens.

The chicken is approximately 6-7 weeks old. The chickens name is EGGO and is by far my favorite so im hoping for a hen, I wont be able to keep a roo.

thanks for the help

mike
Plymouth barred rock, pullet(female).

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would say barred rock, roo. Roos are lighter in color. Cuckoo Maran have penciled lines if you look closely. Much different marking upon inspection, especially purebred.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yeah I thought it looked kind of white too, but without a female to compare it to I'm not completely sure. I bought sexed barred rock pullets and still ended up with a little roo. He's way whiter than the girls.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I was just out in my coop I should have taken a pic for you as well. Mine are close in age to this, is this the only one you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the pics, and yeah this is the only barred rock that i have. From the pics it looks like mine is in between both of yours color wise. Oh well I guess time will tell. From the over head shot the tail feathers on mine seem to go straight out like your dark one rather than being rounded like the light one, not sure if that is any indication just an observation.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
I just wonder if the wattles and slightly lighter coloring indicate male, my girls have no signs of wattles at all. They will be 5 weeks on Wednesday. But the little roo has had wattles for a little bit now. I hope for your sake its a hen because I've only ever heard awesome things about them, it's why I bought 6 of them even though we are only planing on keeping 10 chickens. Luckily I did though we are already down to just 4 we can keep.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks like a barred rock to me too. The males are usually lighter than the females but that said my hen is the exception to the rule so you never know. The comb on this bird looks about the same size as my 25 weeker, which leads me to believe it might be a roo you have. BUT, there is the gray smudging down the legs, which I was taught was a hen thing. It's a crap shoot! I hope for you it's a hen.

image-1423523985.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts