What are your favorite breeds of chickens?

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by CartersLegacy, Jul 25, 2012.

1. CartersLegacy

CartersLegacy New Member

What type of chickens is everyone raising? What are your absolute favorite and why?

2. silkieboy123

silkieboy123 New Member

My favorite is silkies because of there persinalitys and adorable ness and the make good exhibition birds

3. CartersLegacy

CartersLegacy New Member

Silkies do make great pets and exhibition birds. My kids love their silkies.
    I would have to say my favorite chickens in our personal flock is the Silver Laced Wyandottes and Delawares. They have beautiful coloring and great personalities. Very friendly and curious birds.

4. rob

rob New Member

i love my silkie she has a great personality and is so placid, my light sussex is very aloof and does not trust people very much. my favorite is my clydach clocker she is so friendly and an overall nice bird.;)

5. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Well a couple weeks ago I would have given you a different answer, but today my fave is our Barred Rock. Our rooster BR was nice and meaty when it came time to butcher and our female gives me an egg 6 days out of 7. She is super friendly and even my 4yo can walk up to her and pick her up.

6. Brandee3

Brandee3 New Member

I love my Silver Sussex chickens. They are mild mannered and have great tasting eggs.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I like red hens. Had a RI red as a kid. I also like red cats.

8. rianesmimi

rianesmimi New Member

silkies are my favorite of all. I also raise orpingtons of different colors.

9. campyn

campyn New Member

my fav is the Barred rock they are so friendly and just like dogs. they come greet you when you go to the coop and always jump into your lap if you are sitting with them. My fav looking are the Easter chicks

10. WVCHICKEN

WVCHICKEN Junior Member

Orpingtons are my favorites, they like to flock around you and follow you like sheep and they are VERY friendly. BUT we have a Lavender Orpington thats not that friendly. We have had 2 Lav. roosters and both with attitudes.

11. hockeychick

hockeychick Junior Member

Buff Orpingtons. They are friendly to the point of being annoying! They try like crazy to get into the house whenever the back door opens, they are always trying to take things out of our hands, and they have no problem flying up into my lap if they think that they can get a treat lol.

12. outdoorsii

outdoorsii New Member

Barred rocks...my white leghorn

13. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Right now.. Silkies. Anyone own any sizzles?

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Right now seabrights and polish.

15. mstricer

mstricer Junior Member

D'Uccles for sure.

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I lied a little....still love Buff orps best.

17. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

I'm rather fond of the Dark Cornish for their sharp wit. They're not the friendliest but they are a hoot to watch figure things out. My favorite for being friendly and beautiful are the Seramas. The roosters in particular are so damn huggable. :D

18. ChickensSayMoo

ChickensSayMoo Junior Member

My favourite chooks are my Barnevelders. They are such sticky beaks, super friendly and calm, love to be picked up, & have such quirky personalities! I really like their markings & of course their lovely dark brown eggs too.

Attached Files:

19. Marengoite

Marengoite Junior Member

My favorites for dual purpose have to be my Buckeyes.

But for pure eye candy, that vote goes to my Silver Spangled Hamburgs.

Attached Files:

20. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Any that's simply healthy, happy, friendly, hangs out with me, comes when I call them by name, and likes to be held. Out of the 6 breeds I have, all are my little buddies. The exuberance that my Barred Rock has as she comes tearing around the yard to see me with her head straight out, Chloe who stops and drops at your feet to be held (RIR), Sophie (Barred) does the same, Lilah who when she wants extra tlc simply flies up onto my shoulder or back (Australorp), and now my new one Josie (Ameraucana) who flies across the yard to get to me. Love them all. :)

Lilah when she was little. Not a posed picture! Came into the livingroom that evening to find her looking at the pillow before laying down.

Attached Files: