Featured What are these lumps

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Maryellen, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Her one wattle is longer then the other and has these lumps on them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Maryellen

3. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's pox, need a closer pic.
    Have you had freezing temps? It's possible she may have dipped her wattles in water while drinking and the tips of the wattles may have frostbite or froze. Not much you can do about it if that's the case.

4. Maryellen

I've had her since Oct 28. Temps one night were 30. The one wattle is twice as long as the other and the 2 lumps are huge. If you save the pic then open it and make it bigger the lumps are easier to see. She won't stay still for me to get a good shot of them. She was acting off today so I seperated her to the other side of the yard in the other coop

5. Maryellen

The night the temps went down I put the water heater on so the water wouldn't freeze

6. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

7. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a hen and her offspring with a short crinkled wattle and a long ,smooth one.Genetics.As for the lumps,is it spreading?

8. Maryellen

So it is the beginning of fowl.pox?. I got this hen and 2 pullets oct 28. They were driven up.here by a woman who was showing her chickens in the poultry show.
    All I've been reading says incubation 4-10 days , some say 3-10 weeks. All I've read says stress , mosquitos and wild birds can have it come out.
    None of my other chickens have it. I removed her and she is in a coop across the yard. I read there is nothing that can be done and it has to run its course. I read dry is better as the wet pox can kill.

9. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

goodness ME, I have no clue..hope it's not contagious??

10. Maryellen

It's very contagious

11. Maryellen

All the pics I took from the time I picked them up to yesterday show it starting

12. seminolewind

I don't recall any of my chickens giving another chicken pox. It's mosquitos. Out of 29 chickens, I'll get one or two that get pox and that's about it. And if 2, they are usually not in the same group . Normally it just runs it's course. I have had problems with a few that due to their immune system their pox was really bad.

13. Maryellen

I have no mosquitos, I went over all the pics I took and the hen had it starting the day I got them. And I didn't notice it:(. I took 100 pics of the hens from the day I picked them up. My fault for not seeing it as it got bigger

14. seminolewind

I would not want to scare you with my silkie roo who had horrible pox growing off his face. It was totally horrible. I'm sure his immune system was shot prior to getting pox. It did teach me a few things. I've had 2 dry pox and 2 wet pox all at different times and were singularly suffering. There's really nothing I could do with any of them but provide supportive care and hope they get over it (as my vet said). There is a vaccine I have given and have another vial in the fridge. It can help anyone that's not symptomatic.

15. Maryellen

I saw pics online of how bad it can get:(. This hen was stressed when I picked them up and in the pics I took that day the pox was already starting.

16. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't know what to say except good luck,I hope it clears up.

17. Maryellen

I need to find out if all my chickens are now going to be carriers. If so this ruins everything I wanted to do

18. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

Take it to a vet for a lab sample.