Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a minute feathered friends. Life often gives up a few hurdles to hop through, I’ve been dealing with my share.
figured at request of robin, I’d hop back on and reintroduce myself.
my names Sam, in the powderhogg. I specialize in high altitude homesteading and animal husbandry.
I may not be super active on the forums but wanted to make myself available to anyone who is having issues with keeping birds at altitude.
a bit about me, for those who may not have been around years ago.
I took on a project to start hatching and raising birds at over 9,250 feet in Colorado. I spent several year documenting the experience and what I was able to find and learn.
In that time I was able to go from a 1% hatch rate to nearly 75%.
I no longer live quite so high up in the clouds, and no longer am I hatching. But I still have a small flock I care for and am happy to share what knowledge I can.

·
Administrator
22,322 Posts
Welcome home, PH. I've missed you. Maryellen drops in from time to time. I think dawg53 joined about the time things were becoming challenging for you. NM156 rarely posts anymore, it might be two years now. Lots of stuff has gone on.

The rest have slowly vanished. The forum has changed hands multiple times.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Nice to meet you Sam. I'm over here in north Florida, practically in the Okefenokee swamp lol. We have our own set of challenges raising chickens in the heat and humidity most of the year as Robin can relate. I've been raising chickens for a long time and raised hogs for a short period of time years ago. I decided to stick with chickens without any regrets.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,784 Posts
Awesome- thanks for rejoining the flock so to speak! Or coming home to roost. Whatever. Nice to have someone else with loads of experience.
I lived in Denver for 6 years, Miss it but happy here back at home with the fam too.

Nice to meet you! I’m Sara, I’m on as much as off sometimes but regularly. I’m also a bit of a goofoff I think.

I have a growing flock (like literally my hens might be hatching right now…) but includes several bantams and some Wyandottes and 2 Australorp pullets on Thursday… it’s been a busy few weeks! A new coop on the way as we speak too.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,345 Posts
Been a minute feathered friends. Life often gives up a few hurdles to hop through, I’ve been dealing with my share.
figured at request of robin, I’d hop back on and reintroduce myself.
my names Sam, in the powderhogg. I specialize in high altitude homesteading and animal husbandry.
I may not be super active on the forums but wanted to make myself available to anyone who is having issues with keeping birds at altitude.
a bit about me, for those who may not have been around years ago.
I took on a project to start hatching and raising birds at over 9,250 feet in Colorado. I spent several year documenting the experience and what I was able to find and learn.
In that time I was able to go from a 1% hatch rate to nearly 75%.
I no longer live quite so high up in the clouds, and no longer am I hatching. But I still have a small flock I care for and am happy to share what knowledge I can. View attachment 40853 View attachment 40854 View attachment 40855
Beautiful chickens I like the blue one in the last picture! :love:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts