Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Her crest, face and rumpled little comb definitely look like the pics you all kindly posted on cream leg bars, she looks like a copper Marans in her feathers, but she has faithfully produced a pale tan egg daily ! Caught in the act as it were, nobody else is laying yet. I thought I might get a dark brown or blue egg.any other ideas since we know the egg color now? She is a sweet little hen.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bee. That would fit. Her crest and scrunched up face and comb look a lot like the Cream legbar pictures, are the blue eggs a recessive trait? She does look a lot like the blue orps. Anyway, she is a great little layer. God bless you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
A blue hen that lays blue eggs? Priceless! That will take some research, I'm thinking...I'd never heard of that and an orp would lay a brown or tan egg.

Bless you as well! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bee said:
A blue hen that lays blue eggs? Priceless! That will take some research, I'm thinking...I'd never heard of that and an orp would lay a brown or tan egg.

Bless you as well! :)
Hi Bee, I did not mean my blue mystery hen lays blue eggs, hers are a very light tan. I was thinking that maybe her not blue egg color would rule out a cream legbar in her ancestry! Somebody contributed her lovely blue coloring and somebody else gave her the crest and legbar-like comb! She is little bot is now the dominant hen! Guess mutts are like canine mutts, every pup in the litter looks different! Wish I had remembered more of m genetics class from a thousand years ago!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Hi Bee, I did not mean my blue mystery hen lays blue eggs, hers are a very light tan. I was thinking that maybe her not blue egg color would rule out a cream legbar in her ancestry! Somebody contributed her lovely blue coloring and somebody else gave her the crest and legbar-like comb! She is little bot is now the dominant hen! Guess mutts are like canine mutts, every pup in the litter looks different! Wish I had remembered more of m genetics class from a thousand years ago!
Now, I understand!!! There for a minute I was thinking you were going to have a fun time marketing her offspring...blue hens that lay blue eggs! That would have been the coolest! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bee said:
Now, I understand!!! There for a minute I was thinking you were going to have a fun time marketing her offspring...blue hens that lay blue eggs! That would have been the coolest! :D
It sure would, maybe someone will breed for those traits. Hmmm...I do need an excuse to get more chickens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Bee said:
A blue hen that lays blue eggs? Priceless! That will take some research, I'm thinking...I'd never heard of that and an orp would lay a brown or tan egg.

Bless you as well! :)
Blue Ameraucana lay blue of course ;)

Got a dozen of em in my coop!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Here are 3 pictures of my blue-something-something ameraucana. I would love to know what to call her coloring. She recently popped out with some (?) coppery-red feathers over her eyes, and the camera didn't really pick up on those. A couple of months ago, her breast was not the red/buff you see here. I think she just keeps looking prettier and prettier. 3 views. She doesn't like me pointing the camera at her! She does lay bluish eggs. I wonder if I crossed her w/a cream legbar, if I could get a blue pullet who lays blue eggs??
BTW, in this first picture, her eye looks filmy, but it is not. It must be a combo of the flash with my white shirt and light gray pants.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Knob stone?? (I don't know the reference) She started laying around 2 weeks ago. This would be the 5-month old feather growth. I can't wait to see what she looks like next year, since I have read that some chickens don't develop their full coloring until the next year. Too bad I don't have a roo (a blue would be fantastic), 'cuz I would love to see what a roo from her would look like!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kjohnstone said:
Knob stone?? (I don't know the reference) She started laying around 2 weeks ago. This would be the 5-month old feather growth. I can't wait to see what she looks like next year, since I have read that some chickens don't develop their full coloring until the next year. Too bad I don't have a roo (a blue would be fantastic), 'cuz I would love to see what a roo from her would look like!
I think that was my I pad telling me how to think,it "spell checks" me and if I don t catch it some pretty weird stuff shows up, I meant to say kjohnstone. Does Hawkeye have a Radar, or Hot Lips Hoolihan to keep her company?Lol
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top