Weird weather

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by kahiltna_flock, Dec 29, 2012.

1. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

E are having such weird weather. It is 40* outside, I am in Alaska, so that is really warm. Almost all of our snow is gone and my chicken run is full of water. I just put in more straw for them not much more I can do I guess. How is the weather where you are?

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

We have been on the cool side. (for us)

Had a mess of freezing rain last night. :eek: (Give me snow over ice anyday) But all in all ... our normal winter.

3. rob

rob New Member

very wet and windy here in wales. fence blown down and localised flooding.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Chilly in Upper Michigan. Nice today but starting tomorrow temps to start dropping. Wednesday & Thursday are suppose to be super cold 0 - 10 degrees. Only ankle deep for snow so far.

5. kahiltna_flock

Yuck, 43*f again, now with high wind warnings. Winds 55-75mph and gusts 85-100mph. And rain. The girls may just have to stay in the coop today. Let's pray no damage!

6. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Here in New York we have at the least a foot of snow...the temp this week is suppose to be 17* during the day and 2* at night...thats really cold! I had to cover my girls water and feeding can with hand towels and masking tape because their combs were sticking to them!:eek: It was making their combs bleed...think I got it covered now. The metal water can I keep inside their coop and use the plastic one outside...of corse I have to fill it twice a day. Anything for my girls...this is our first winter so its trial and error?? Jen

7. kahiltna_flock

It's my first winter with chickens too, what an adventure. I never really used to care about what the temps were. I watch the numbers pretty close now.

8. DanielleBoland

DanielleBoland New Member

Here in missouri its been in the twenties maybe up to mid thirties during the day weve had about a foot of snow since christmas and freezing rain yesterday but just COLD today!!!!!! My dad works on the river as a boat pilot and hes down in LA and Texas and he said it was nice down there i said well it almost too cold to support human life here lol!!!!! My chickens wont even come out of their coop

9. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Member

Ha HA HA! :)

Unusably cold here too (so much for global warming?). This week they are calling for mid 20’s during the day and single digits at night…

10. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

We're in the 40's but it's not that bad.

11. rob

rob New Member

still very wet here, the girls look like drowned rats.

12. DanielleBoland

Its suppose to warm up a little here mid thirties during the day teens at night but its still too cold for me lol

13. kahiltna_flock

So you all have our weather, we are still in the mid 30's and have lost almost all of our snow. I am afraid that the hens ate going to think it is fall again when it cools off again and start molting. Lets hope not, I am enjoying all the eggs :)

14. EmmaJB

EmmaJB New Member

Quite windy here in North Wales tonight, although not as much as the other night - anymore rain and the rivers will be pulling down yet more trees! This was a river near my elderly great aunty's house a couple of weeks ago - the line of trees you can see in one of the pics is usually the river bank!

Bet my babies are glad I live on a hill!

image-130090680.jpg

The sheep stranded in the field next to my aunty's - flood defences not working! Xxx

Attached Files:

15. EmmaJB

EmmaJB New Member

Mind you, we're back in double figures temp-wise (Celsius) after a cold snap recently. Rather cold, it was. But it's forecast snow next week, lots of it.. And we get lots of snow where I am. Bring out the sledges and the 4x4, hoo-ra!

Wonder what my babies will think of their first snow? Xxx

16. DanielleBoland

Emma those are cool pics they are thinking about shutting down the rivers here to barge traffic bcuz the wAter is sssssooooo low

17. EmmaJB

EmmaJB New Member

I'm glad of the drier weather over the last few days to be honest, the rivers are getting back to normal now. The rain has been causing all sorts of problems in the UK this past year!

Still waiting on the snow though... :/

X

18. rob

rob New Member

makes a change to have a dry day.

19. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

We've got a lot of rain this week, it's been a good change of pace.

20. rob

rob New Member

we have had months of rain now. getting a bit fed up now, ive even started developing webbed feet !