Weighing Eggs.... Do you weigh yours?

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by earlyt89, Dec 16, 2012.

1. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I was just curious so I went to my local pot office and wanted a postage scale. What they had for $25 was a digital scale. A little bit of figuring and calibrating but I got it. Did you know that a nickel weighs exactly 5 grams?

Anyway. I eventually weighed a dozen or so eggs. My eggs varied from 62-74 grams. I have heard of 3oz eggs. So. Do u weigh?

2. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Nope, never have. My regular chicken egg customers - I sell mainly at a local feedstore - know the eggs will be a mixture of medium and large. My duck egg customers are just thrilled to be able to get duck eggs at a decent price.

3. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I give my eggs away. Guess nobody thinks its cool to weigh eggs.

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

To the best of my knowledge the world record is 198 grams.

5. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Never have and never thought too. It's not a bad idea.

6. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

I have never thought to either. I have a digital food scale too. I am going to have to check it out now...another reason for my family to look at me funny..just weighing eggs...

7. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I just thought about it the other day because someone my chickens eggs are bigger than others. Like I said you can get a postage scale. I have a rhode Island red hen that if iput a full dozen of her eggs in a carton it won't close.

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Gotta love those little egg machines! My red comet is laying very nice eggs consistently. I don't weigh either but you're right, I should. Got the scale, eggs and a notebook. Why not?

9. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Hmmmm for a couple days I thought i was wierd cuz I started the thread and nobody posted. I'd like to see who's got the biggest chicken eggs on the forum. Everyone this is an invitation now to post ur pics of your largest eggs while they are sitting on the scale. ( preferably where everyone can read the weight) WHO'S GOT THE BIGGEST??? and, DOES SIZE MATTER???

10. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Member

Nope.

If they look small I save for our use.

11. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

If they are selling a 64 gram egg at the store for over $3. Why wouldn't a larger egg be worth more? Like I said the world record to my knowledge is 198 grams. That's over 3x the normal egg. But is it worth 3x the price if you bought a dozen?

12. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Don't usually weigh them, but I do have an old fashion egg scale. 1.5 oz to 2.5 oz and calls them small, med., large and extra large. The eggs I have put on there just bottems it out. I would have to call them super douper extra large.:D Now I am going to have to find a better scale.

13. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I weigh mine on occasion. Bought a scale soon as mine started laying a couple years ago. Nice to know what that "first" egg weighs, or that super big one or just the occasional out of curiosity. Got my digital scale at Walmart in the kitchenware section. My biggest one to date was 3.4 oz on 1/6/2011.

14. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I am a Professional Baker, so I have a strong anal-retentive precision and accuracy gene. :) When I first had hens I would regularly weigh them and try to adjust my recipes accordingly, however I did eventually get over myself and now I use up to an extra large egg as "egg" in my recipes. If I have two eggs in a recipe I will pick out one super big and one smaller if possible. Once the hens are in full production, then they pretty much even out the size of the eggs.

When I was selling eggs I always evened up the cartons so that everyone shared in the big and the small ones. I did have one customer who only wanted the smallest eggs I had. She said that two big eggs were too much for her, but she loved the look of the two small eggs on the plate. She paid the same amount, but just wanted little ones.

My largest egg was from one of my first hens, a Red-Sex-Link named Ethel. It weighed in at 140 grams which is just under 4 ounces. She was a hell of a hen!

15. Wazza

Wazza New Member

Haven't weighed any eggs. I think ours would be small if shop bought but they do seem to be heavy for their size. Denser eggs? More nutrition packed in?

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My red sex linked just started laying at the end of last year. Her eggs have gotten bigger and bigger. I haven't weighed them, but they qualify as large at the moment and I'd bet extra large as time goes forward.

17. Jim

Jim New Member

We like to weigh ours, especially when they first start to see the progression of the egg size. Our biggest to date is an americana that lays 2.4 oz eggs daily.

18. meinblackshear

meinblackshear New Member

How often do your Americana hens lay

19. CarolynF

CarolynF New Member

Yes... we weigh every egg, every day. We don't have to it's just interesting to see the differences between hens and from day to day. We're just a little nuts! :D The EE is usually about 2 oz give or take .15 The Barnie is usually between 2.25 and 2.45 oz. The BSL us usually about 2.2 oz.

20. ReTIRED

ReTIRED New Member

The VALUE of "weighing-eggs" is when you are incubating for hatch.
    The egg should lose about 14 % of its weight by the time of "lock-down". (18th day)
    This can also be observed by candling and looking at the increase in the size of the "air-cell".
    To MY understanding....THIS is the purpose of weighing eggs.
    -ReTIRED- :)