Quail Week old button quails...

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by robopetz, Nov 18, 2012.

1. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Hi all! I just picked up 3 button quails that are a week old. First off they are the most cutest tiniest hatchlings ever!! Lol I found a guy that had too many and wanted to give me 14 of them. We originally wanted only one but then decided to get 2 so the one wouldn't get lonely. Then the guy said hell what would one more do? And it's really hard for me to say no when it comes to animals. So there you go, I ended up with 3. One looks silver one looks brown with a white head and wings and the other looks dark brown. I have never had quails never researched quails other than what they eat and what kinda housing they needed. So I'm really new to this. Anyone got tips for me? Anyone else have button quails as pets? They will be indoor pets like my silkie. So I guess my silkie has 3 lil friends now. I keep them separate for now though as the button quails are way too tiny to be with the silkie.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

I have nothing to help you but they are really cute. Your silkie will probably enjoy some bird company :)

3. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Thanks! Ya, the silkie will have 3 tails fallowing her probably.

Sad though. We discovered that the silver/grey one had one eye shut. We didn't even realize it when we picked them out. I have no clue what to do. It is a slight bit swollen or bigger than the other eye. Hope the lil fella is ok.

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

They're cute as can be! You'll have to keep us posted. I'm of no use for info on these little wee ones. Someone who does though will bump on here I'm sure. That chicken math got ya didn't it! One = 3. Yep. That's good ole chicken math for ya. ;)

5. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Haha yes the chicken math, too funny!

I was so worried because as soon as we brought them home they just slept and slept and slept. Didn't eat, moved just a little. Then this morning I wake up and all the food was eaten and they are as energetic as the energizer bunny. I guess they got tired from the long car drive home. That one with the closed eye is just as active and healthy acting as the others so I'm hoping the lil fella's ok. Here's a pic of the "special" one that has the one shut eye. Sorry but is rather not take a pic of his/her poor eye right now.

Attached Files:

6. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Well all day yesterday the shut eye one would just sleep. I was soo worried that by night time I had to step in. So I took a soaking wet paper towel and dripped water drops on its beak. Thank goodness it started to drink, and drank allot. Next, I was like hmmm how can I get it to eat. I took the chick crumble mixed it with water and dipped a qtip in it and held it to its beak. Again, thank goodness it realized it was food and slowly ate it. Then ate more and more. Boy was I happy! Lil thing is now more active and is eating on its own. But, I've yet to see it drink on its own. So this morning I had to drip water on its beak again. As for the eye... Last night I wiped it with warm water then there was white stuff coming out, I'm assuming puss???? So I cleaned that up and it's good to know that it's lil eye is open its just swollen shut I guess and not just deformed. I dunno if its just me but the eye looks as if the swelling went down a lil. I'm continuing to keep a close watch on it. But in the mean time I'm so glad it's eating on its own and has lots more energy than before. It's even now fallowing the other two whenever they go exploring, before that one would just stay in the lil house where they sleep. Lastly, I have put a tiny dose of garlic powder in the food as it is a natural antibiotic. Which I have learned from y'all on here, thank you! Sorry for the long ramble but I'll keep y'all posted.

7. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

Sounds like they are making sure you don't get bored while you are recovering. Thanks for keeping us updated.

8. Mariesoltis

Mariesoltis New Member

Adorable! Have you tried a smear of triple antibiotic ointment on the eye? Painless and it is known to clear up pink eye in kids! Also you may want to try putting a little poultry antibiotic, vitamins and/or electrolytes in its water. Maybe a bit of sugar in its water if the aforementioned isn't available. Kelp or any kind of seaweed is a great vitamin boost and as a powder they can't avoid ingesting it with their feed. Or mix some in the water and let the water sit for a while then give him a bit in a dropper. I used to carry my little quail around everywhere. They are so sweet!

9. queqid

queqid 40+yrs of Indiana Poultry

Check about the garlic powder. I can't remember about powder verses fresh garlic. I don't know it they are both viable. I thought (?) fresh was the one to use?

10. robopetz

robopetz New Member

There was a big discussion about the garlic thing here and people swear by both powder and fresh. Thanks for looking out!

As for the button quails. Her eye went from swollen shut, looking like there was a tumor in there to perfectly normal. It took about a week. Isolating her and giving her garlic powder. I dunno if that help but I'm just glad I was able to save her as we almost lost her.