Chicken Forum banner
3361 - 3380 of 3388 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,235 Posts
Melissa called from work, she said it was minus 4 when she fed the horses this a.m.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
Ouch and a whole bunch of other ouches.

If you saw how I was bundled up to take care of the birds when it was the mid 20's you'd think I was heading into OH.
I'm with you- I hate it! I have stolen my husbands giant hunting one piece coverall- it's like wearing a giant camo sleeping bag! It has suspenders inside, otherwise there's no way on earth I could! My hubbs is a big guy- think linebacker. And I'm about 5'2". This thing is roomy for him. I swim in it- and I adore it! So warm.
Anyway, it looks like we won't be getting the worst of this blast this time, just 2 nights in the teens! Sorry y'all, I'm as shocked as you! They had been calling for that, then 6-8" of snow, now snow tonight, rain tomorrow, and snow again Thursday eve. What a sloppy and wet mess!!!!

·
Administrator
23,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,365 ·
I'm with you- I hate it! I have stolen my husbands giant hunting one piece coverall- it's like wearing a giant camo sleeping bag! It has suspenders inside, otherwise there's no way on earth I could! My hubbs is a big guy- think linebacker. And I'm about 5'2". This thing is roomy for him. I swim in it- and I adore it! So warm.
Anyway, it looks like we won't be getting the worst of this blast this time, just 2 nights in the teens! Sorry y'all, I'm as shocked as you! They had been calling for that, then 6-8" of snow, now snow tonight, rain tomorrow, and snow again Thursday eve. What a sloppy and wet mess!!!!
I had one of those one piece deals. Thing was much too warm most of the time. These days I have a super size pair of sweats that goes over my jeans. An oversized coat that I can layer under until I look like I'd bounce if I fell. And a hat I bought when we were in MA and lived in the motorhome but had to have something on my head when I walked the dogs in winter.

I don't think either one of us would win any best dressed contests.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
What do you do when the power goes out in an ice storm?
If you're me, you go tromp around and get extra wet and cold to nab a few more pics before it melts off.... yeah. After wrapping up both the crab tanks to ensure they stay close to where they should be, that is.

It's pretty but I like having power too! Lol

·
Administrator
23,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,370 ·
Seven years ago we had an ice storm here. It took the power out about ten at night. I can tell you it got really, really cold in the house that night. But they got us back up and running within three hours. So, hopefully it will be the same story for you all.

It's one of the reasons I have generators. I'm not doing that anymore.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
I can’t wait til EE get our generator setup done in the future as well. I’m with you- no power is- well I’m spoiled. I don’t lie.

We have a giant brick fireplace (in the background of that last shot of me w hospital chicken) with gas logs, thankfully with full tanks too. We can keep it pretty comfortable, but now with the crabs too, I need some power. I may use our little jump pack to run their heatmat in a bit. 70s is low for them. 80 is about my minimum I like to do for them, so we gotta do something! I’ll sort it out. They’ve survived outages before. I set the portable heater in there and it stayed warm enough. Mostly. I think I did lose one bc of that come to think of it.... anyway. You know where I’m at with all that.

·
Administrator
23,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,372 ·
There are so many things that can be affected with a power outage. Most of the time it's people with incubators that in use.

Is your hot water tank electric or gas? If it's gas and doesn't need electricity to kick on it might be possible to put a container of really warm water in their habitat. Or if you have a gas stove. Boil up some water.

A gas stove is another thing that I had to have. Most everyone on my road is electric only and when the storms knocked our power out for days they either couldn't cook or had to use their BBQ grills.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
Yeah, we have a couple of good camp stoves we can bring out as needed, we are pretty proficient with those! I would prefer a gas stove AND gas heat too tbh. We had gas heat in CO, and it was so efficient. Now if the air pump is out there's still no help for it, but I like it.
Our water heater is, unfortunately, electric. At least it's new though by golly! Already did that a couple years ago. The joys of homeownership never cease!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
Oh yes. It's rare mine are anything but spontaneous... so thank you. With all the new photo hard and software, and editing tools at my fingertips, it's really a snap to make almost any photo look good.
I just try to think about what I would want to see if I weren't in a place. If that makes any sense- just how to convey it to someone else if they didn't experience it too. Idk! Don't mind me.

My other chicken acted kind of puny all day, so say some chicken prayers for her too. This is the one we have had the laying stuff with before, so that's always on the table for her 'potential cause' list. Always an adventure!

·
Administrator
23,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,378 ·
Have you got power now?

A person could have the best equipment out there but if they can't frame the photo properly it's just another photo of something.

Her only option may be to be spayed if you don't want to lose her.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,793 Posts
Thanks Robin- I’m starting to think so too, this was her third ‘episode.’ And yes, we got our power back after just a handful of hours- I was grateful!
The first was when she began laying, and either had one break or just laid without a shell, then laid a normal one.
Second time she was all bunched up and hiding under the ramp at bedtime, so we gave her a warm soak and kept her in for the eve, and she was ok the next day around lunch, no egg but let her out and she was fine.
Third- now- she was just acting all sick chicken, standing aside for the majority of the day, altho not severe, but before bed I watched her and she ran around with the others and was still eating/drinking. So I left her. Today she’s moving around and engaging more but comb and wattles are a bit pale still.
So idk! I am def leaning more toward being spayed, as she is a sweet hen that the boy loves.

Oh. Speaking of the boy.... guess who called 911 at 1am last night????

3361 - 3380 of 3388 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.