Weather

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by robin416, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Well-Known Member

Ditto! Skeeters gone! (Read: happy dance time!)
    Snow is really messing w all mine! They are not pleased with this development! Ha! After an hour only one hen had braved the ramp to go get food!
    The other coop? Same thing. One little white girl down on the snow.... eating the snow.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Snow is scary!!! No touchee. Oh wait, let's taste it.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.

3. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Yay!

4. Overmountain1

I finally moved the food up to just inside the door. The idiots need to eat.... it’s freezing temps all day and super cold tonight. To the point I’m a bit concerned... but not fully. Want to put some goop on the combs today if I can... it’s honestly my really big fella’s comb and waddles I worry for in 20 degree weather. They’re ginormous, and there’s no way he will let me treat them without a big fight and fuss. At least he’s staying indoors today... I laughed at him poking his head out this morning to crow, literally, and then back inside. Seriously not a fan of snow here! (There’s maybe an inch all told and mostly just a dusting in half the run or so....)

5. robin416

LOL I can see him doing that. What a hoot. That's why everyone needs at least one rooster in their flock if they can have one.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  6. Poultry Judge

They are funny. Mine spent all day milling around the coop, except for the ducks of course. As of dusk, we have about eight inches of snow. We are supposed to have 2-3 days coming up with temps in the high 30s and low 40s, so I want it to all melt, except that it's already so wet.

7. Overmountain1

Yeah, we only got an inch or two, all told, and I expect it to be gone within another day or so.
    By afternoon today, I still had not seen a single chicken come out of the big coop, —and I’m talking I’d been watching closely all day to a degree, but mostly since around 11, and this was 2! We finally had to bribe them down the top part of the ramp, so they would jump over the second (scary snowflake coated) half and on to the dry spots. I think that was their SINGLE visit outside today, no lie. I’m glad they finally ate and drank something at least, but I feel like they didn’t get near enough for this cold! Crazy things! But I also figure they aren’t likely to let themselves starve either. They’re fine I’m sure....

8. robin416

There are people who shovel pathways for their birds.

It's 26 here this morning. Ouch. A tad below normal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  9. Poultry Judge

We got eight inches of snow here, my son got fourteen inches by Lake Erie. It's 30 right now, I hope it warms up and melts!

10. robin416

LOL Eight inches here would shut the state down until Spring. At least you all live where they know how to deal with it.

11. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

19 this morning and now 32. The sun is shining bright. No snow here; a few flakes that melted before hitting the ground. Everyone have a wonderful day.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  12. Poultry Judge

Thanks Dan, you also!

13. robin416

Now I remember another reason for leaving TN, 19 degree mornings. Thanks for the reminder, Dan.

14. Poultry Judge

I'm not ready for it.

15. robin416

We never are. I need the temps to be just a tad higher so I can work outside and not have my hands freeze. Just a teeny bit. But we know how that works.

16. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Flurries here most of the day. Colder out too .I'm so not ready for winter

17. robin416

Snuck up on you, did it? :p

Don't hate me but we needed this cold. There has been an explosion of undesirable creatures here in the past several years with no winter. Farmers have also suffered.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  18. Poultry Judge

The farmers have suffered, many types of insects not seen as being problematic in years, are not freezing out well enough, and destroying more crops.

19. robin416

And there are crops that need a period of cold. We haven't had that in quite a while. I think we were in the 60's or 70's this time the past several years. No actual freezing nights at all.

20. Poultry Judge

We have had freezing in recent years, just not enough of it consecutively to kill some of the insects and larva.