Weather

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by robin416, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

It was 64 and sunny here today :) tomorrow though, back into the low 40's and rain changing to snow overnight. 1-3 inches Monday night, 1-3 inches Tuesday day and another inch Tuesday night. I swear I'm going on a ground hog hunt! Starting here in Iowa and shooting every single one I see from here to the East Coast!

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Woman when you get cranked up, it's pretty funny. Bet all the groundhogs are shaking in their burrows about now.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Hehe! Yeah, I hope they are! They better dig those burrows a whole lot deeper than I can shoot

4. robin416

Crazy crazy weather. Got up to it being 60 this morning. A few days ago I got up to the 20's. By the end of the week it's going to drop again.

5. robin416

For the first time all winter I dropped the tarp on the open side of my chicken pen. The cold front coming in now has brought a ton of wind with it.

Maryellen likes this.
  6. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

43 today. This winter has been super mild.

7. robin416

We've been all over the map weather wise. It swings around and gets cold and then a few days later it's back in the 70's. The peach crop is going to suffer because of it.

8. robin416

I'm here to tell you we got pounded last night. Tornado warning which this time I didn't need a warning about, I could feel it. The power has been out since midnight, I'm going to drag my generator out here in a bit. After I drink my coffee.

From what I read there is a lot of damage just East of me with one death. I haven't delved too much further into it yet. I needed to see what all was happening here. It's an addiction. You know?

9. nissy2

nissy2 New Member

today is sunny.

10. robin416

Would someone please send me some cold weather. I mean cold, like a couple of days of freezing weather. The kind where I need to break ice in the waterers.

No, I haven't lost my mind. Not yet anyway. What I need is for cold weather to knock these danged mosquitoes down. Tonight I got mobbed by them when I went to put the birds to bed. I had the fan going so they couldn't navigate that well but darn it, they are bad out there.

11. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

That's the problem, it takes a few good cold days to knock the current generation down.

12. robin416

I've lived here over seven years now, I've never seen them as bad as they've been this year.

13. Poultry Judge

I think a lot of people agree with you.

14. robin416

This evening things might get interesting here for me. Cold front coming. It's going to hit warm air and shake things up a bit.

We've had wet falling all day today, even the Guineas were over it and went up early.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  15. Closed Flock

Closed Flock Member

My birds are wanting more feed. They make more noise and and move around a lot more than typical when a front cold front comes through in winter. If snow deep then they will go off feed for a couple days before flying around a lot more than usual to avoid deep snow.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  16. robin416

They go off feed with snow? Think it's the change?

I haven't lived anywhere that we have a lot of snow so I never really had to worry about it. Except with the Guineas. A light dusting and they take to the trees.

17. Poultry Judge

Mine are pretty good with the snow, some breeds just don't like it though.

18. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Here it’s wet, very wet. Rainy season is almost done but we still have a few weeks yet. Today I realised why our back field always floods. 150m of road all drains into our one field! I cut a couple of small channels and problem solved!

19. robin416

Sometimes it takes seeing it when it's raining to realize why it's happening. I've been wet a few times watching to see why flooding in some areas was happening.

Whatever came through here last night was a whimper. I don't know about other areas of the state. Some of what was out there was nasty looking.

20. robin416

I can declare the mosquitoes are no more for this year. It's 30 degrees out there this morning. We'll be seeing colder temps for at least the next week.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.