Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the waterer cups and if you have do you like them ? I have the nipples and my girls don't like them. So I am wondering if they would use the cups instead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chicka-Js said:
Has anyone used the waterer cups and if you have do you like them ? I have the nipples and my girls don't like them. So I am wondering if they would use the cups instead.
My experience with chickens is that when they are thirsty of hungry they will go to the source and learn how to use it,as long as there I'd no alternative source to us

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Yep...tried that. They drank all the water out of the cup without triggering the lever and then just went without water. After the initial water was out of the cup they had no understanding of how to get more to come out. I refilled it several times to see if the light would go on and it never did...just too old, I guess.

I also tried them on red nipples...coated the nipples with all sorts of goodies to get them to peck at them, demonstrated the water coming out, etc. Locked them up for a week on both methods and the only moisture they had in all that time was out of their fermented feeds. They just couldn't get it.

Each time I let them out they ran for the dog's water and drank like there was no tomorrow.

Now, chicks get the nipples within seconds but those old birds are set in their ways.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I tried the cups to get a way from the old try that kept getting dirty the girls did not like the cups at all
As Bee said the girls would empty the cups then go with out switched to the nipples a few days ago and the birds love it

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I have the nipples and they just won't drink out of them. I was hoping not to spend the money on the cups if they aren't gonna use them either. I might just have to bite the bullet.

·
rich386
83 Posts
Thanks all. I have the nipples and they just won't drink out of them. I was hoping not to spend the money on the cups if they aren't gonna use them either. I might just have to bite the bullet.
You just might want to try these Horizontal Nipples. They are spring loaded so don't leak. There is a small drip cup to attract the birds. Being nipples and not cups there is no messy cleanup. They can mount flush to walls so the birds can't perch. Build your own or get the compleatauto fill gravity watering system. 6 to 8 birds per nipple.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts