Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have ducks and chickens together, how do you keep clean water for chickens? :confused: I have the problems of water freezing to contend with and no electricity access outside the coop anymore. :( Please help.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
If you have ducks the water will never be clean, except when you first put it out... just a fact. :)

In cold weather I change the water in the morning and a hour before dark... They learn when to get the water ...

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just feel so guilty for my girls having yucky looking water to drink from all of the sudden. Ducks have blended in with them super though. One of them is starting to get their voice change. Got some funny sounding peep/quacks this morning.

·
Hoosier Henster
25 Posts
Amazing how quickly water for ducks goes 'amuck. Their nature to be dabblers. I've stopped worrying about it -as they seem to prefer it that way. We start fresh (rinse out mud) once a day - max. I watch them go from food pan to water - back and forth as if they are cleaning, or rinsing food in water pan.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Nope the water is never clean. I have a kiddy pool filled with water and a low sided pail filled. Every couple days I dump them and refill. The ducks make if filthy in minutes but I just leave it. Heck the flock will drink from a mud puddle, I doubt duck water bothers them.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
They are raving about horizontal waterer on another thread. Might want to consider that option.
We had one for the outside dogs tills the ducks found it. They would nudge it to make the water drip, which made a nice little puddle for them to dabble in. But the little puddle grew and grew till it was one muddy mess. (That the ducks loved ... I on the other hand... well... was not so happy about it.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my gosh that is funny! I can just see them doing that too! Smart little brats they are! I remind mine every day that they're lucky they're cute ... ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Our ducks are finally outside. And their pool is filthy in seconds. They are so funny they went over to the mud and did this stomping dance to pull the water up and then drink it off the ground . Too cute but very messy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts