Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my chicks are only 5 weeks old, but what is the average heigth that water nipples are installed for full size chickens ? I have just ordered some nipples for my Red Sex Links.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hennypenny68 said:
Can I ask were did u purchase the nipples I would like to get some and give them a try.
I got mine on eBay. The majority seem to come from china. Takes about a month for shipping.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got mine today. I have 8 birds and 10 water nipples. Going to put 5 nipples on a 3 gallon food grade bucket and hang it inside the coop and the other 5 on a 6 gallon food grade bucket hanging outside under the coop. Going to put the nipples not on the bottom of the buckets but at the bottom on the sides and then hang the buckets so the nipples are at the chickens eye level. I'm putting the smaller bucket inside the coop because mine are only 10 weeks old and aren't very good at using the coop ladder. They can get down and out but not up and back in so they spend most of the time in the coop

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I buy mine from QC Supply on line. Buy a drill bit from them too, as I was not able to find the size needed for the threaded ones. I learned early on, cheap means they will likely leak! Be sure also to use 3/4 inch PVC at minimum, as 1/2 inch is too small. Good luck!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I've never had any leakage from the cheap, red poultry nipples. I got mine on Amazon but I believe they can be found cheaper on Ebay. Mine were delivered within a week and a half. I LOVE them!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I got 5 on ebay for $2.95 plus shipping which took 5 days.put 23 on bottom of 2 gal. bucket hooked it up to water line with valve and put a marked dowel in top so I know when to fill the birds love it...had to paint it green so the wife would also like it...lol...she hates plastic....also now it can not be seen as much...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
How difficult would it be to train hens who are all at least 9 months old that have been using a traditional waterer, but I would like to switch to nipple before winter if possible.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
My gals are also 8 months old and they took to them in one day after me touching them and making them drip... quick and easy..

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
powderhogg01 said:
How difficult would it be to train hens who are all at least 9 months old that have been using a traditional waterer, but I would like to switch to nipple before winter if possible.
They will see it, hear you play with it, bump it, one gets it, the rest follow suit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts