Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just hatched baby chicks and I was told to buy electrolytes for the water. The feed store recommended nutri-drench. The ratio is 4 oz per gallon but that makes the water dark brown! A y advice? Is this right? Has anyone used thus product?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I only use filtered water from my refrigerator. You don't need anything. They're just trying to sell you more stuff.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
If you hatched them, then they haven't had the stress of traveling in the mail for a couple of days. I would make up some hard boiled eggs and give them mashed yolk. Right before they hatch they eat the yolk for nutrition, so that is the closest thing to their own natural food.

I googled the product and yes, it says 4 oz/gallon is the dilution rate for poultry 1-4 days old and then it goes down from there to 1/4 ounce per gallon for poultry over 6 weeks of age. It seems to be a high vitamin solution for sickly or weak birds. It turns your water brown because one of the main ingredients is molasses. Just put a TBSP of molasses in some warm water, maybe about a quart and give that to them. Molasses has a multitude of vitamins/minerals and used to be given to sickly children as a tonic. You can also buy B vitamin complex in a liquid form in the vitamin section in the market. I have given that to sickly chickens over the years.

If they aren't stressed, and are growing okay, I wouldn't worry about the water. Give them some egg yolk and start them on chick starter and enjoy the little fuzzy balls. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts