Warm box

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by mitzy123point, Oct 1, 2019.

1. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Has anyone made a warm box for chicks to go into during the winter when their broody is walking around? It's starting to freeze here and while my broody is a great mom she does like to walk around and the chick follows her around crying and shoving herself under the broody and gets stepped on. I was hoping to make a little box that the chicks can fit into that will at least keep them a little bit warmer then just following mom around. Kind of like a warm wind break for when the mom wants to walk around. The chick likes to wander away from mom to stand in beams of sun so I know she is at least a little cold until about noon. I don't want to heat this box I just was thinking of a box maybe filled with bedding or a towel or blanket? The box will of course have a hole she can go in or out of so she won't be trapped, but I'm hoping when my other chicks hatch she will be able to still go in there with them to make friends any ideas, or suggestions?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

My way of addressing the same issue was to hang a bell lamp with a 60 watt light bulb about ten inches off the floor.

Chicks can not moderate their body temps easily so once they get chilled it's hard for them to warm back up. Having an enclosed box without any heat source will mean that peep won't warm up but probably get colder.

Maryellen and mitzy123point like this.

3. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Sadly I don't have any way to get electricity out there, it's about an acre from the nearest outlet I was hoping there was another way

4. robin416

It sounds like you're going to have a problem if you can't find a way to keep these late hatches warm if you're already getting that cold. Here it's still in the 90's so I wouldn't even have to hang a light.

You might end up having to take the peeps into a climate controlled building to keep them from dying.

Maryellen likes this.
  5. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I'm definitely willing to it's hard because after maybe 8 it's in the 70's but the nights are cold I might just have to leave the mom in the coop a hour later everyday, or like you said take them in. Luckily this one is already about 4 weeks old so I think it will be fine for a little longer since it's already almost feathered. I was hoping to be able to create like a mini greenhouse for the chicks.

6. robin416

The only way to do that is to have heat from somewhere, whether it's from the sun or a light.

You could try a three sided box with plexi on top facing the sun. But you have to have sun for it to gather warmth.

7. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I'll have to look around and post if I figure something out, they might just end up inside.

8. robin416

It's the easiest if it's getting that cold there already. Even 70's is not not warm enough for newly hatched chicks.