Chicken Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Alyson and I live in rural southern Maine with my husband, dog and 2 cats. We have just over 2 acres. I want chickens but my husband REFUSES to let me have them. He doesn't want more chores, costs, etc. So I'm living vicariously through all of you.

·
977 Posts
Hey Alyson. Sorry your husband is not willing. I won't lie it is extra chores. In the winter it is more work. Making sure they have fresh water and it is not frozen. Collecting eggs before they freeze. I would have it no other way thou. i love my feather pets! Here our a few pics to hold you over till someone else comments!

Bird Comb Phasianidae Chicken Beak

Eye Beak Human body Dog breed Terrestrial animal

Bird Phasianidae Beak Chicken Galliformes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
You'll have to start collecting your research showing that chickens provide unending entertainment, provide relaxation, create tons of smiles, give super good for you eggs, have big personalities and are just as much company as a dog or cat, really don't cost that much for a few to have, great for the gardens in more ways that one, are really rather smart and have good memories, and this a just a bit of what chickens can do for him. :D See its really rather an "investment" if you consider it all. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Hello. My name is Alyson and I live in rural southern Maine with my husband, dog and 2 cats. We have just over 2 acres. I want chickens but my husband REFUSES to let me have them. He doesn't want more chores, costs, etc. So I'm living vicariously through all of you.
My hubby said the same thing 20 odd years ago ... do a search on where your food comes from. (And I will leave it at that.) ;)

Best of luck and research is your friend! :)

Factory farm ~ eggs ~ is a good place to start ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all! I've thrown every argument I have at Matt: fresh and healthy food, great fertilizer, reduced pests and ticks, the sight of adorable chicks and chickens pecking at the yard, no extra chores (for him anyway)...
Kaufranc - I love the Silkies. They would definitely be a breed I'd raise.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My husband was completely against it. We are breaking town ordinances and hoa ordinances. But I said screw it you only live once and if I want chickens I'm getting chickens! And now he is the biggest fan. We've had them ten months now and he is in full support.

Not saying you should go against you husband but two acres is an awful lot of room to not have them ;)

I like having a reason to get up and go outside a few times a day. Without them we wouldn't step foot out back in the winter.

The only drawback is finding someone to mind them while we are on vacation. The neighbor kids have been a huge help.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Another option, find someone close by, and learn the ropes by helping them out and all. Vacation sitters is a good point, they are not easy to find. I keep looking, hoping to find someone in the area interested, but no luck. So, maybe you could friend a neighbor with chickens, and at least get to play with some, and I bet get some occasional eggs....

·
Registered
15 Posts
You go!! And besides hoas are dictators so if you get a chance to thumb your nose at them go for it. I watch Duck dynasty and Willie got chickens. Of course he ended up at the local hoa. He tried to reason with"chickens make me happy" but they wouldnt listen. I wish you and your poultry well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts