Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some good show quality breeds of chickens this spring. If anyone has chicks of any of the following breeds and are willing to ship, let me know!

(All are bantams unless otherwise noted)
- Modern Game
- Dutch
- Wyandotte
- Cornish
- Brahma
- Orpington
- Rhode Island Red
- Leghorn
- Araucana (REAL Araucana's not Ameraucana's or Easter Eggers, the tufted tailless kind!)
- Ameraucana (REAL Ameraucana's, not Easter Eggers!)

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
You will find it difficult shipping just a few chicks at a time from 99% of reputable breeders. Chicks have many challenges in shipping, one of the biggest is getting cold until they are fully feathered. You will either need started birds or pairs that are older.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you think that hatcheries ship two day old chicks?

I'm not planning on getting chicks now, as it's just getting colder. I'm waiting until spring to get them, but I'm just asking for them now.

·
Administrator
21,766 Posts
They have minimums for shipping. The reason is so the chicks will stay warm.

You're looking at getting ten to twenty chicks in one shipment. Some breeders will ship that way. But not many. Show breeders immediately cull out chicks that have faults at hatch and continue to cull as the chicks grow and begin to show more of what they are going to turn out to be.

Some will do a special hatch. In other words, you pay them for whatever their minimum is, they hatch the chicks and ship them to you. But again, there is a minimum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts