Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a pretty seasoned hatcher, but my do I get fidgety everytime, waiting so long. Lockdown for the first eggs is on Sunday. The second batch 4 days later. I have secretly been collecting more eggs, in case I don't get enough chicks to hatch. They changed a law here, so I've got to keep my flock below 36 chickens, or I'll have to register them, even the chicks, so just a lot of paperwork. Don't want to do that, it's nobody's business anyway. I've got 15 now, but waiting for two young cocks to grow out, and see who's a keeper.

Had a bad fertiltiy rate with the first batch and some that looked like they'd been pre-brooded, naughty chickens! so down to 4 from 10. The second batch looks better. From 18 to 15 last time I candled, but they are due for another candle on Sunday too, so fingers crossed.

I have gotten nowhere with my building project, thanks to the torrential rain. It has been driving me crazy for the last two months, enough already!

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
I totally forgot you were in Germany. I sure hope you're not in one of the areas that is being threatened by the flooding.

I was the same way. No matter how many I hatched. When I moved to not using my incubators and let the hens do all the hatching it wasn't so bad.

If your temps were high enough they will self incubate. I've had that happen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope not in the flooding area, but can't walk in the run without rubber boots. Never had so much, that the ground wouldn't take anymore. Need to put some drainage in, if this is what the future weather is going to be like.

Hopefully next year I can move to broodies too.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
The only fix I can think of other than moving the coop/run to higher ground is to build up the run area above the ground level outside.

OK, we'll see if you give up on the incubator. Actually I was surprised when I did but I had so much other going on it was one less thing I had to monitor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today was lockdown, but this little chick was in a hurry. Heard a cheep last night, so quickly removed the turner and added water. This morning I woke up to this. :eek:

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Huge hurry! I wrote the date down wrong once, I was a week off. But this is more like maybe peep was already developing when you set the eggs.

Any signs of pips from the others?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is exactly what I thought. Think it must have already started. No sign yet on the other eggs though. Today was offical lockdown, so see how it goes. Bit of a bummer that the little guy will have to go into the brooder alone, to start with, if a pal doesn't hatch early too.

11eggs left in the second incubator now, crappy since they aren't even shipped!!

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
I hated having lone chicks. They were so unhappy. If you've got a feather duster and a mirror it will help it until the others hatch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The second chick hatched today, so no more lonely chick. 🎉 Still a day early, so the incubator might have been too warm.

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
Yep, maybe a little. Number one peep is three days early. What are you using to measure temps?

At least number one now has a buddy.

Lost track, how many eggs left?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had only 4 in lockdown and two didn't make it. Second batch is due on Sunday, so fingers crossed. The two in the brooder are the chillest chicks I have ever had.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, this is the Borotto 24 with a fan and humidity pump. Seem to always get better results in it. The still air is ok for starting the eggs, but not good for the whole process. Think its the fan, at least that is my observation, and maybe cool and hot spots in the still air. Anyway, one is a bit weak in the legs still, so won't move them into the brooder, with the 4 day old chicks, just yet. I made that mistake once, and the others trampled it to death. :censored:

·
Administrator
20,537 Posts
The other seems to run hotter than this one too. Is it possible to use the Borotto for the first part of the hatch and use the other as a lockdown unit?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts