Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any birds in your life long enough and you begin to recognize the different sounds and what they mean.

I was in the house. Just outside the back door was a bird raising a ruckus but the voice said there was something wrong. I go out. He sees me and gets quiet, the others are ignoring him. I did a head count and realize one is missing.

His body language is all distress. About the same time I said to him you're missing your mate I heard her. So did the flock and everyone went running off to find her.

I haven't quite figured out why he was screaming at the back door. There isn't much I could do if she was gone for good. If he had been quiet for just a moment he would have heard her calling.

·
Serama King
965 Posts
Yes. Each morning, before rising, I listen to the roosters crow, indoors and out, and tick them off in my mind until I have heard all six. Then I know the day is off to a good start. Some of the roosters have distinct crows. The only one I do not hear is Snowflake(number7) in the serama coop as his crow is not very loud. I also knew Tommy's gobble from RPy's when he was alive.

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And this morning I heard the quail from inside the house before the sun was up. That was a first. When I went out I found all of the Guineas on the ground in one corner of the pen.

Still dark thirty, they should have been roosting.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we're learning the language of the feathered ones.

Does that make us multilingual?

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is another question, does Kimmi think there's something odd about you since you can recognize the different voices?

My hubs looked at me side wise when I'd say, "that's Ducky crowing." Or that's King, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts