Chicken Forum banner

Virginia

3K views 48 replies 6 participants last post by  danathome 
#1 ·
So we are now in VA. Moved here this past Saturday ( been here a week already omg time is going tooo fast)
All the critters did the 8 hour ride good. Cats are locked in my office for 2 weeks so they settle in.
I am going to get chickens again but since I have a whole family of hawks living in our front yard il have to enclose a pen. We are on 7 66 acres in the Blue ridge mountains about 35 minutes past Roanoke.
I see the forum layout changed

#2 ·
Congrats on the successful move, and welcome to Va! I hope you are very happy in your new home.
Boo on the hawks- I have a similar problem, but they’re not quite as.... hospitable as your bunch is! They live about a quarter to half mile away as best I can tell. Ugh. You could always look into attracting crows to the area, if you don’t mind the crows that is. Lesser of two evils in my book!

#3 ·
Hi ME. I'm glad you safely made it to Virginia. Everything is fine with us. Do you have any idea how many chickens you're going to get? Starting out with chicks? I hope you can find inexpensive lumber when you start building coops. Everything has gone up in price and not just lumber.
Hawks here are a dime a dozen and I keep my birds penned. It's good to hear from you, stick around.

#12 ·
Sorry been getting somewhat settled and back to work ugh.
Dawg we got a 10x20 shed and the goats have half and when I get chickens they will have the other half. I'm going to get kennel fencing to keep them enclosed due to the hawk family in my front yard . They will only be out free ranging when the dogs are outside.im going to keep a low amount,between 6-12 with one rooster. Probably gonna get easter eggers. I'm not getting chicks, the new house is smaller and there is no where for me to incubate or put a brooder up.

We have a mini lamancha male and a oberhasli male goat.( pets).both wethers.

I plan on setting 2 nest boxes for 2 pairs of my cockatiels. Fall I'll set boxes for my lovebirds. I already have a wait list of 5 people for cockatiel chicks which is good.i put an ad up on craigslist and got a good response so far.
Working full time with all these hours limits me to unpacking more , so will work on that on the weekends.
The husband is still trying to get a contractor here to clear some land to get a pole barn up.(and I want to out up a small above ground pool up like what we had in nj).
See Robin im back :)
Now I gotta figure out how to add pictures

#24 ·
Sorry been getting somewhat settled and back to work ugh.
Dawg we got a 10x20 shed and the goats have half and when I get chickens they will have the other half. I'm going to get kennel fencing to keep them enclosed due to the hawk family in my front yard . They will only be out free ranging when the dogs are outside.im going to keep a low amount,between 6-12 with one rooster. Probably gonna get easter eggers. I'm not getting chicks, the new house is smaller and there is no where for me to incubate or put a brooder up.

We have a mini lamancha male and a oberhasli male goat.( pets).both wethers.

I plan on setting 2 nest boxes for 2 pairs of my cockatiels. Fall I'll set boxes for my lovebirds. I already have a wait list of 5 people for cockatiel chicks which is good.i put an ad up on craigslist and got a good response so far.
Working full time with all these hours limits me to unpacking more , so will work on that on the weekends.
The husband is still trying to get a contractor here to clear some land to get a pole barn up.(and I want to out up a small above ground pool up like what we had in nj).
See Robin im back :)
Now I gotta figure out how to add pictures
Thanks for the update, keep us posted on the other birds.

#21 ·
The goats are big! It's been a long time since I've seen pics of them. They all look like they've been there forever. It helps when the human part of the pack sleeps in the same place for everyone to adjust quickly.

I think it actually takes the humans longer to settle in.

You can also drag pics from your folder on your computer to the forum too. That's if you're using your computer and not your phone.

#30 ·
Duke is terrified of the black and white cat Sylvester ( Sylvester has no issues using his claws to keep the dogs in line ). Timmy the other cat is super sweet.. Sylvester... not so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.