Chicken Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
LOL It happened again this morning. I was out there doing stuff about 50 feet from the Guineas when they alarmed. I looked up just in time to see a hawk swoop over their heads. It wasn't a Red Tail, too small.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
LOL It happened again this morning. I was out there doing stuff about 50 feet from the Guineas when they alarmed. I looked up just in time to see a hawk swoop over their heads. It wasn't a Red Tail, too small.
Some years ago, a hawk took one of my guineas right in front of me. One year I had a mama hawk who would sit on the horse arena fence everyday which is only a hundred feet behind the house, and watch the guineas. She took seventeen guineas that year to feed her babies, one a day.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Dang, I don't think I could handle that emotionally. Luckily I'm set up that I can keep them up if I had one like you had just waiting for a target.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Dang, I don't think I could handle that emotionally. Luckily I'm set up that I can keep them up if I had one like you had just waiting for a target.
That was probably a dozen years ago and everything was free range. The chickens had roosts in the barn and that got pretty messy. I was always hatching Eastern Wild Turkeys and they would all take off with the local wild flocks. My current setup is better.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
The smaller hawks are the ones that I usually have problems with. They can't handle the adult birds, but will wipe out chicks and youngsters in a short time. I no longer let birds free range that have young until the young are near full size or as big as a grown bantam in the case of poults. When there's a large hawk around, all the birds stay in the poultry yard. For whatever reason hawks are leery of diving on birds in the poultry yard; also, the birds can make it to the coop for safety and the yard is difficult to sneak up on without being seen.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts