Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I can do about my roo when he's mounting he grabs the hens head feathers violently and I even found my favorite hen bleeding this morning any suggestions? I just separated them for the night

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
2rain said:
Is there anything I can do about my roo when he's mounting he grabs the hens head feathers violently and I even found my favorite hen bleeding this morning any suggestions? I just separated them for the night
If he is young, he may learn to be more gentle, if not, there are lots of gentle ones out there for sale all the time, don't put up if he is just plain mean.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I've never seen a "mean" rooster....just normal roosters doing what roosters normally do. This is nature in progress and normal behavior in a flock of chickens...it's not "mean", it's called mating and when roosters are young they are too eager and so get a little more rough.

This all smooths out later and they don't handle the hens so roughly....but, no, there is nothing you can do about it but give your hens room to avoid him and let nature happen.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys I have been trying to make them coop chickens because some of them are really hard to catch so I should let them free range more often? My roo is one if them that's hard any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
2rain said:
Ok thanks guys I have been trying to make them coop chickens because some of them are really hard to catch so I should let them free range more often? My roo is one if them that's hard any suggestions?
They should naturally go back up at night into the coop. On the occasion I have to get mine back to the fenced off area, or in their coop and secure pen because a storm is coming or something, I have a small bucket of scratch with me, and call them. "Chick,chick,chick,chick", that just come a running from whatever they were doing, and come to the great (bait). No catching of them hardly necessary. It does take a time or two, but even when I just go out to put the compost bowl out into the pile from the kitchen, it is in a similar shiny silver bowl, they come a running! I often make sure there is a special surprise in there for them, be it the ends of tomatoes, or cilantro, or other. Just something to keep them trained to the shiny silver bowl, or even the galvanized bucket of scratch. Heck, most the time I go out for eggs, they all come running, sometimes to walk away with just getting petted, and no treat.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Just feed once a day each evening, in the coop/run area, and then just shut the door. They will come to food. I wouldn't free range unless you've taken the necessary steps to do it safely.

If you cannot free range safely, establish a large paddock area or large run...large enough for one chicken to avoid another easily.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If I want to get my hens into the coop before dark I usually carry out a bag of meal worms. They all come running to the coop but my one RR. She will go hide in the brush. It's so funny, the first time we couldn't see her anywhere. Thought she flew the coop for sure. Then when we started walking farther into the yard, she was standing behind a small bush. We chased her to bed then.:) But always, once it gets near dark all my girls are in bed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts