Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is 9 years old. he grooms himself, suns himself he is free range. feed corn chops. Yet he walks stiff and is super thin. he trys to top then hens and falls off? Please need advice don't want to lose him. he is Beautiful and sweet.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sounds like an old and arthritic bird to me too. I mean it could be worms but at this point worming him might actually do more harm than good if he's already that compromised. All I can suggest is feeding him some scrambled eggs and treats and making sure he has a warm place to be. Otherwise I think it might be time to just get yourself prepared for his departure. I know its hard. The roos can be such amazing animals... but nine is impressive!

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
You can dissolve a low dose aspirin in water every day for him, and just keep it in his water. It will help with his pain, and that may help his appetite. :D

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I'd worm him with some strongid, panacure or ivermectin. No sense living with parasites if you have a choice. Strongid or panacure are not even absorbed into the body. They stay in the gut. I was thinking tick borne illness first, and tetracycline is drug of choice for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts