Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to keeping chickens, I have three bantams. Buff Orpington, barnavelda and a blue bell. The barnavelda has just started laying. last week we had a fox running around outside our coop. The blue bell screeched at the top of her lungs for 15 mins after. This was not a alarm call. She now does this every morning without fail especially when she sees me inside or outside of the house. She goes bright red also.
could anyone help me as I just don’t know what is wrong with her.

·
Administrator
17,597 Posts
Nothing. If the fox was visible to them she's learned something new. And if her screeching brings you running she's found a way to get you to come her way. Although it's probably aggravating to you it's actually kind of cute.

If you mean bright red comb, she's getting ready to lay eggs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. I’m worried that’s she’s going to call more foxes over so I am running out to them. She’s perfectly silent when she’s out and about with me. So what you have said makes sense. she goes bright red in the face then it calms back down when I’m with her. The other two are constantly red in the face as the are more mature. I assume.

·
Administrator
17,597 Posts
Fox don't need to hear them, they smell them first. That's what brings them in.

Exactly, the reddening indicates they've matured to the point to begin laying.

And you're welcome, it's what we're here for.

·
Serama King
983 Posts
In addition, some breeds are noisier than others. When my tiny serama hens get going everyone in the neighborhood can hear them. My phoenix hens are just the opposite, extremely quiet. My big cochin hens are fairly quiet too.

·
Super Moderator
2,981 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One other thing to consider with foxes, they will tolerate the noise from a coop but they don't like noise and commotion when they are stalking. Robin is right, they are attracted by the smell of the birds first and foremost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for all of your help. Much appreciated.
would you know if there is anyway I could stop her screeching? I’m very happy I can now see she’s a bright little one and she just wants attention but I’m not sure my neighbours will appreciate it, I live in London where our neighbours can hear everything so no doubt they can hear her calling.
Ive heard about training them by spraying them with water but I really don’t like the sound of that especially in winter!

·
Administrator
17,597 Posts
She might stop doing it when she begins to lay.

Hearing what she sounds like helps. Sometimes they're screaming about dominance. Or attempting to crow when there is no male around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts