Vent gleek

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by Yolk, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Yolk

Yolk New Member

Anyone ever have to treat vent gleek? If so, how did you go about it? Thanks.

Ham____

2. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

I don't even know what it is??? LOL I guess we will learn... :) Jen

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Cloacal discharge?

4. Yolk

Yolk New Member

@Jen---if you hear or read about something do a Google on it.
    @Energyvet---It is a discharge and I am going to Google the one you posted.

5. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Thanks...I've been checking it out all morning! I have a hen that her vent was all wet and yucky...I washed her area and she looks better this morning. I think seeing the vent gleek on here jinxed me?? :( There is no smell so I guess thats a plus...I just don't know?? She is fine with the others, nobody bothering her. I'm keeping a close eye on her. Maybe she needs yogart? I'm still reading. Jen:)

6. Yolk

Yolk New Member

@Jen---The treatment that was brought to my attention and WORKED was using a bowl large enough to soak the butt of said hen for about 5 min in warm water with Epsom salt (hand full) in it. Also using a syringe I feed her around 1tbs of the water/Epsom mixture. It took 3 days for it to work. The last day I also feed her sugar water with Nutri-drinch mixed together. Today she is good to go.

7. Lisav

Lisav New Member

For vent gleek do the also not stand and lay limp? I just had her in warm water for 20 min checked vent for egg bound ( no egg ) but she did release a bunch of white discharge .. How many times a day do you water bath

8. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

First it is not vent gleek, its vent gleet. With a "t"

Vent gleet is a fungal infection their is drainage and a nasty smell.

Lisav, your bird sounds like its in serious trouble. It would be best if you start your own topic and give as much information as possible. That white you saw is urine, and if its all white then she's had very little to eat.

9. Lisav

Lisav New Member

Thank you .. I have started a new thread but no replies. I have her separated and will keep a close eye until I hear something or try to find a vet ..

10. birdlover

birdlover New Member

I recently had a hen with vent gleet. And I'm so happy she is better now. Is your hen getting water, usually they will get huddled in some corner. So you should syringe feed her water. When doing this, make sure to point the syringe down the chickens right side, if it goes down the left she could drown. Also, I fed my girl yogurt, plain of course. She got better in 1 week, and I'm so relieved. One more thing you could do is to put apple cider vinegar in your flocks water. This cleans out unwanted bacteria, so it will keep the rest of your flock healthy as well. I hope she gets better, and I hope this helped.