Chicken Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
She’s a beautiful soft silkied blue, but she DOES have a touch of splash pop out here and there, mostly feet? Little white spots here and there. She’s a beautiful girl, she will have challenges, and this will take still more time, but I think she can make it now. Her feet still don’t grip, but that could still improve over time, really I think just the one. But she is learning how to get propped up on the better leg, and she goes in circles for now, but learning how to move around a little too. I’m so proud!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Additionally; it is odd to note that while she does ok as you saw- when I said don’t get crazy at the end there.... If she starts to lose her balance she starts rocking and flailing and that right foot pushes further and further back the more she tries and gets worked up about it. I have to stop the flailing and wait for her to relax enough to ease it back to position. It’s odd, but whatever. There’s no predicting how any of this turns out when it happens. Different outcomes for the same injury etc.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Another day another... well it was another day. Not the best but not the worst I guess. We had to bathe her rear again- poor dear is rubbed a bit featherless and tender, then she gets poo on it, you get the picture.

She still is super duper picky and kind of unpredictable about it. She will reliably gobble an egg yolk, but will not touch an egg white. She will darn near choke on something to gobble it one time but then snub it later or the next day. I’m a bit frustrated if you can’t tell.... it wasn’t the best diet day. She needs to be gaining weight back!

But she is gaining strength. She does good, but it’s almost like when she gets excited her nerves misfire even harder and it all goes more and more wrong for her. It’s an odd thing to see. But she can stand and even take a wobbly step or so, and spin herself pretty good too lol. Slowly but surely, Bill.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Your going to have a full supply of meds for her by the time she makes up her mind what she's going to do. Pick up some Desitin and the next time you have to clean her smear some of that on her bum. It will help protect her from the irritation.

None of them are crazy for the white but most will eat it. The yolk is what they all go for first.

I found the same thing with any that were down. They can be like cats, love the food the first time the next look at you like you're trying to poison them.

Getting weight on them is a slow go even if they are healthier than she is now. The high fat hand rearing formula would probably help but you'd have to get that from some place like Chewy.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

I am pleased to report she is making an (almost) full recovery. She stands and moves herself around pretty easily, and she dust bathes. She’s never going to win any races, but she could win a beauty contest!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts