Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
What's the story on hub's truck?

Are you still giving her the nutri drench? Good stuff, loaded with the nutrients she needs.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nitro-Drench- <—— ha! I’m leaving that-about half the time, and we make it really strong bc she doesn’t like it apparently. I have to give her plain water or she won’t drink enough, but I do still try to make her drink it with the syringe.

Oh the truck.... he was bringing the tractor back home late at night and all of a sudden it felt like he got a flat so he limped toward the exit, and by the time it got close he knew it was the engine. He managed to get to the truck stop at least. There is oil all over everything everywhere. Gobs of it. He said probably half or more of his oil reservoir has to be gone, and he cannot tell where it’s coming from- no loose hoses we can see etc... so it’s likely the high pressure oil pump, which is a beast to even get to, and super expensive to replace.
However. My dear friend I grew up with owns a local towing company and happens to have a brand new Cummins diesel sitting in his shop. And the price is.... more than killer. It’s a bargain and a half!! Yes because we know him. Thing is, we LOVE that truck. It’s the one with the beautiful heavy saddle leather interior -Ford lost money on every one made- and every hide used comes from the actual King Ranch. Hence the name. Anyway. So the truck body and all that is still next to like new. Truly. (The owner before us also owned a car wash, so it stayed pristine.) Apprentky the holy grail of trucks is a Cummins in a Ford bc the body of fords are better made but the engine isn’t as good as the Cummins. So.

I had to hop in the car bright and early yesterday, swap vehicles with my father in law to a truck, and go pick up hubby and the trailer 3 hours up the road. Yay!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hensley and her crew- Tristan and those two are so close, it’s cute to see. Hens was taking a mini-sunbath, just her head was in the sun there. Sweet little peep.... she’s eating a bit more- it’s a start!

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
The other option is Rooster Booster. I kept that one around for depleted birds.

So, a new truck is coming to your house? Not going to bother fixing the other one? Or going to sell it as it?

Breakdowns in the middle of nothing in the middle of the night is never fun. At least you both made it home again safe and sound.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oh no- no new truck, just a new engine in our own! The said friend also has a shop and has graciously offered it up to do the motor swap, a d several of hubby’s friends are super excited about it. Geeks. It’ll be done in a hot second, if they spend as much time working on it as they will talking about it!

I can’t complain. It’s good to have good friends.

About our girl- she’s hanging on! I haven’t mentioned this bc I keep hoping to catch a pic but haven’t. At first I would stop it and make her move, so now she hops off pretty quick when I see it.
Alarma, the teeny tiny Serama female, perches on top of little Hensley. I thought she was doing it as a, idk, just not so nice move, but I don’t think that’s it now. Hensley seems to like it, she doesn’t try to stop her or make her move, she just gently sits/lays on her and... keeps her warm, I think? It’s cute but I know it’s not ideal, I have to alternate with little Hensley anyway so I can get some other things done.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
LOL Boys and their toys. So it's the truck that blew the oil pump that is excellent shape body wise?

I hope you can catch a pic. Having a buddy that close though is good for Hensley in the long run.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That was what my ultimate decision about it was; if she didn’t seem bothered by it and it didn’t seem too forced or anything, who am I to tell them how to cuddle? Because everyone needs a best Bud. Alarma is all feathers- she is perched on my thumb here-

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
She's really little. It's one thing to see them in Dan's man hands but in a woman's smaller hand it's really obvious.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
That was what my ultimate decision about it was; if she didn’t seem bothered by it and it didn’t seem too forced or anything, who am I to tell them how to cuddle? Because everyone needs a best Bud. Alarma is all feathers- she is perched on my thumb here-
She's looking good. I ended up keep four pullets her age to make up for those that were killed, but not really as those that were killed were silkied serama; the only two I had. I'm hoping the genetics of the flock gives me some more, so I'm hoping on this new batch of seven. Snow is suppose to be carrying the silkied hidden gene. I know some of my hens are split to silkied. Perhaps I will get lucky.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Awesome! I can’t wait to see pictures of how they grow compared with her etc- just for fun.

Another day another weak peep. I just don’t know y’all. I am starting to feel the worst, and that she may not recover even enough to live really.... idk. She’s very skinny and still kinda perky: she will not eat anything bigger than about a chia seed, except nibbles at grass too. I just think it’s been a little too catastrophic unfortunately. I hate it sooooo much- you always get even more attached in caring so closely with one, and she was pretty special on her own already. Sweet thing.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
Have you tried the hand rearing formula? Or cooked oatmeal sweetened with a little sugar? Or chopped up hard boiled egg? Often I would use a metal spoon, the shiny would get their attention and they'd poke at what was in the spoon,

If the damage is too extensive she might not improve anymore than she has at this point.

I know exactly what you mean about caring for them and trying to pull them back. It's never easy on us and even harder when they lose the battle.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
She’s gotten fairly pitiful despite our best efforts. Because of the hermit crabs I have all kinds of chicken delicacies- the hand rearing is what I need to go grab now. Dang it I was gonna try that yesterday. Ack!
We have tried dried bugs and pupae of many sorts- whole and broken up, sometimes a peck. Same with lots of seeds and grains and nuts- we tried egg too, and no. Wont touch it, just that first day a few bites. She still cannot stand, at all, and when she does and the leg goes out and then the other one also gets messed up bc it still can’t grip either.... sigh- she ends up with all limbs (and head) spread out as far as they’ll go, almost like ‘whoa make the world stop spinning’ too, so she may have been directly or indirectly affected in balance as well. Poor little baby. I wish I could’ve tried the steroids immediately, but I’m unsure it would’ve made a big change. But- here [mention]robin416 [/mention] and [mention]danathome [/mention]
I finally caught them snuggling. You can see by the second picture they were starting to move! Ha! Goobers. She visits for about an hour at a time, I try to water her about every hour unless she’s asleep good... then I’ll wait the few more minutes til she’s up again.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
And, on a side note, Sammy continues to come right along; he was definitely handled prior to his great escape. Not much, but some. He doesn’t spaz when we reach in for him now, and he’s really excited to make the Wyandotte’s acquaintance. Truly we have been waiting to free range them all together to be reasonably sure Sammy won’t be a nightmare to herd back up again.
I feel guilty he doesn’t get a ton of ranging time, but he does get to stay on grass (wire bottom cage) during the days when it’s not nasty, and we do get him out and handle and socialize him and he doesn’t actually seem unhappy, unless the pullets wander away too far, that is! He’s gonna be a good addition. Even if he’s screechy and loud as all get out.

·
Administrator
18,604 Posts
That is an amazingly sweet pic. I keep looking at her eyes. You can't really tell the difference between the two of them. I don't understand the not eating. If it was a stroke she should at least be doing that.

Sammy sounds like my Shoester. The little fart would come up on the covered porch and let loose. Talk about ear bleeding sound.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Oh gosh- Chip STILL has him beat but they will both- like.... my husband has said he has literally never heard a rooster as loud as Chip. And that is actually a credible thing to say, he’s been around plenty, although not a breeder or anything. He really is ridiculous. Sometimes it makes my ears ring for a few seconds enough it dampens other stuff too. Yay for age and hearing loss!
And not to be left out today, Chappie wanted to show Dan how big he’s (not really) getting.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Oh yes- thankfully all roosters are now under 2lbs- so they’re all fiesty!

I have got to video Tiny- if I’m sitting out on the deck, he comes over and helpfully herds whatever I have on the table into my lap..... and then fusses at me until I grab him. I have created a monster!
More than once he has done this so I’ll get it on tape for sure.

·
Serama King
1,554 Posts
Looking good. She will recover. I'm a bit surprised at how many of the chicks came out blues; shouldn't be with a blue father, I guess I just had it in my mind the chicks would be splash-all of them.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts