Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to tentatively say she has turned a corner... she perked up some yesterday and got a bit more fiesty, and I was worried it might be a bit of a surge but she’s still peeping right along!

She might even be recovering some sensation and movement in her feet/toes again! The one leg has been totally non reactive since the start and the other non reactive but at least could move most of the leg and foot, even if no grip.

So, she’s eating like a horse again so I’m really REALLY hoping we are doing better, but kinda scared to jinx it!

She’s just the sweetest little peep, and she isn’t shivering anymore either, so whatever has been going on, i truly hope she’s starting to recover. She’s literally irreplaceable in looks and makeup (well, so close as to not matter) if not by being herself.

Thanks for all the encouragement- i needed it to not give up on her a couple of times bc she was just pitiful. I sat in the floor and bawled my eyes out a couple days ago, but now, maybe it is wasn’t needed. Or maybe it was. Who knows.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So often the feathered ones through curve balls at us and the only thing we can do is support and hope for the best. If she pulls out of this she's got a really strong constitution.
YES. We are definitely still on the line here, and she could easily go either direction. However, I think the fact her Serama buddies have not abandoned her (and of course our help too) has made a lot of difference. They still stuck to her like glue.

She’s skinny right now. She’s def significantly smaller than I’d like. I have added some bee pollen and some soldier worms to her diet which she gobbles up quickly which she def needs.

But-

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
I hate when these things happen. It's so difficult to know what to do other than try to make certain there is food and water intake.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate when these things happen. It's so difficult to know what to do other than try to make certain there is food and water intake.
Amen. I question myself daily if I’m prolonging the inevitable and causing her to suffer longer, but she doesn’t seem to be suffering as yet, so I haven’t considered anything other than continued care for as long as she will accept it. I think that when she does give up, however, it will be my time to let her do so. I’m not seeing anymore improvements today, and less water intake. I’m not giving up, but each day without recovery is an additional nail in the PROVERBIAL coffin.... gosh terrible analogy there....

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
Amen. I question myself daily if I’m prolonging the inevitable and causing her to suffer longer, but she doesn’t seem to be suffering as yet, so I haven’t considered anything other than continued care for as long as she will accept it. I think that when she does give up, however, it will be my time to let her do so. I’m not seeing anymore improvements today, and less water intake. I’m not giving up, but each day without recovery is an additional nail in the PROVERBIAL coffin.... gosh terrible analogy there....
Every one of us does the same thing. But too many times whatever ailed them passed and we can be thankful the support was offered.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NEVER A DULL MOMENT....

So, hubby’s truck decided it didn’t like having oil anymore on the way home last night, so it is parked about 3 hours up the road, and I had to drive up and get him. So I haven’t personally spent a lot of ‘Hensley’ time today. The boys have watered her regularly today, and she seems almost the same as yesterday. I think she’s finally regaining some sensation in the worse foot, although perhaps not a lot. She will def walk with a limp if we can get her to that point. Again, fingers crossed. She’s been making more efforts at standing so that is good.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
I had something similar happen but mine was the oil pump froze up. Luckily I was only an hour from home. Talk about a long day for you all with all of the road running.

I was worried that we hadn't seen an update about her. At least she's no worse, that's something positive.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Yeah. It often pays not to give up. I am pleased she is getting better for you. You may be surprised just how much she recovers and I'm betting she will be 100% before too long.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She’s still hanging on! She can almost stand up- sometimes. So it’s not much but it is progress. I am still concerned about her weight loss, but I got my hands on some prednisone last night- yeah! That’ll increase her appetite! They’re 10mg tabs so was thinking start at a low low end due to the dehydration and weight loss, like 1/8 of a tablet now and another after 6-8 hours and build up a little.
Thoughts?

My concern is for her heart in all that of course- and since we don’t know the original ‘why’ of all this....

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Glad to hear she is better. Wish I could help, but Prednisone is not something I have ever used. The why with my Yokohama hen was an attacking hen who never touched her. I only know because I was handling the chicks at the time. The hen started to attack and the Yokohama immediately started to go into convulsions.

·
Administrator
18,666 Posts
1/4 tablet, twice a day for three days, then 1/4 tablet once a day for three days, then 1/4 tablet every other day for three days.

It might have been too long now for it to have any benefit.

Any chance at all there's a Petsmart near you? They care Kaytee Exact Hand Rearing Formula for cage birds. Birds love that stuff. I've always kept some around for just in case.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oooh yeah! I’ll grab some of it this afternoon. I’m sure it can only help. Today she won’t eat actual food, but she still gets excited for soldier worms and bread. Of course. Really, I’m trying like heck to not feed her junk at ALL. But at the same time she has to eat. So I’m going to get some of the hand reading stuff and see if she will take to that too.
Steroids. Ugh. It may not be able to assist in the healing healing part at this later date, but if it stimulates her appetite and gets her to eat more than she has been and to keep trying- I’m all for it. I got her to take it in little bread crust balls.

Fingers crossed that she tolerates it well. Any unknown factor could play out wrong (heart murmur etc) but that’s the risk I have to take now. And would have sooner if I could have.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts