Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the latest pictures of my sweetie Marshmallow. Still no clue about breed. Has not crowed yet (2 of the others the same age, about 10-11 weeks, have). Not seeing any saddle feathers. I'm holding out hope until I hear a crow lol.
IMG_20210714_181900181.jpg
IMG_20210714_181923211_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210714_181804209_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210714_181758083_HDR.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Interesting bird.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Marshmallow appears to be an Easter Egger or least part Easter Egger to me. Looks like he (yeah, I think cockerel) has some muffs starting to grow. Don't see any saddle feathers yet, but I think I see the beginnings of some hackles and those yellow/red wing patches are a male trait. What really leads me to cockerel though is the 3 row pea comb. Easter egger hens have one row pea combs.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
Marshmallow appears to be an Easter Egger or least part Easter Egger to me. Looks like he (yeah, I think cockerel) has some muffs starting to grow. Don't see any saddle feathers yet, but I think I see the beginnings of some hackles and those yellow/red wing patches are a male trait. What really leads me to cockerel though is the 3 row pea comb. Easter egger hens have one row pea combs.
Good observation! She had a clear pic and I still wasn't paying attention.

Reactions: Love My Chickies

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Marshmallow appears to be an Easter Egger or least part Easter Egger to me
After looking at a picture of an Easter Egger (I'm new to chickens), she does look a lot like one in the face.
OK, kiddo. I'm not at my best first thing in the morning. Add in a puppy aggravating my cats and it goes downhill from there.
I know how you feel. Not cool.

·
Registered
70 Posts
He is an Easter Egger and 1000% a cockerel.

After looking at a picture of an Easter Egger (I'm new to chickens), she does look a lot like one in the face.
EEs don't have to have muffs and beards, so don't be fooled. They aren't a breed, and therefore have no standard. To put it simply, they are mutts bred with the intention of getting colored eggs. However, green/blue eggs aren't even a must to be Easter Eggers.

·
Super Moderator
3,644 Posts
He is an Easter Egger and 1000% a cockerel.

EEs don't have to have muffs and beards, so don't be fooled. They aren't a breed, and therefore have no standard. To put it simply, they are mutts bred with the intention of getting colored eggs. However, green/blue eggs aren't even a must to be Easter Eggers.
Ha Ha! EE blasphemy! They are religion to some folk...but they do lay pretty pastel eggs!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts